Thread: Change of plans

Beans

Change of plans

I've decided to give Unity a fairer chance and stick with Ubuntu until November this year before switching to Fedora.

My motives behind this (GNOME 3's somewhat rocky start and lack of OOTB USB 3 support) are explained there. I'll be upgrading to Natty over the weekend and use that until I decide GNOME 3 has matured enough, then replace Ubuntu with Fedora.
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Change of plans

Maybe you should also consider the fact that by then, Ubuntu would have supremely matured too.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this happens every release. Everybody, in the first two weeks (including me for Karmic) whines about how Ubuntu was the greatest release ever, and how Ubuntu + 1 has ruined all good things on Earth.

And yet, after two months, Ubuntu + 1 is hailed yet again as the greatest release ever. One may verify this for themselves, from the forum history.

It always takes some time to iron out bugs - considering the short development cycle, I thinks the devs do a magnificent job.

And before you ditch an apt/deb-based system for a yum/rpm one, I suggest a VM, or a dual boot in the meantime. You might not like it. I never did, and I guess I never will.

Also, with Ubuntu, you can still install Gnome3 you know. You won't, on the other hand, be able to install Unity easily in Fedora.
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend