Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Suspend Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Suspend Problem

Same issue as outlined:

few notes here:

close the laptop lid, open it back up; the previous behavior was that it was completely black, had to press power and it would resume as normal.

now randomly: I open it and the caps-lock key is flashing, the wifi light is out, the power is solid, and the screen is stuck blank. I am forced to then do a hard boot; which I'm entirely unsatisfied with.

I am using the non-proprietary drivers(video)
    Acer TravelMate 8572G-6647
    Core i5
    4gb ram
    geforce GT 330M
    Ubuntu 11.04 i386

I have literaly just done 2 things here; installed the code from the

and changed the power pref's to not spin down the hard disks when possible for both ac power and battery power... now to see.
    Don't argue with fools, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DoneRightI.T. View Post
    Same issue as outlined:

few notes here:

close the laptop lid, open it back up; the previous behavior was that it was completely black, had to press power and it would resume as normal.

now randomly: I open it and the caps-lock key is flashing, the wifi light is out, the power is solid, and the screen is stuck blank. I am forced to then do a hard boot; which I'm entirely unsatisfied with.

I am using the non-proprietary drivers(video)
    Acer TravelMate 8572G-6647
    Core i5
    4gb ram
    geforce GT 330M
    Ubuntu 11.04 i386

I have literaly just done 2 things here; installed the code from the

and changed the power pref's to not spin down the hard disks when possible for both ac power and battery power... now to see.
    No joy, I will keep looking and cross my fingers.
    Don't argue with fools, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Bump.

I keep giving it a try after each update. Latest today, but the issue is still not fixed.
    I wonder if I should downgrade two releases back or move to W7.
    I don't think I should leave my PC running unnecessarily for hours just because I think Ubuntu is a nice OS...

Beans
    Distro

Try to report a bug, I wonder if this will get things moving...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/829346

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MandoJM View Post
    Hi, I have an Asus U43F. And the problem that I'm having is that when I
    close the laptop or click on Suspend the computer goes into a black
    screen and freezes there, I can still hear the fan and the only way to
    get it working again is by doing a hard reset. In Ubuntu 10.10 i had the
    same problem and i used this to fix it. http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug

I know this is a really late reply, but I think I have this issue figured out. I have had the same problem running both Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit and Ultimate Edition 9/on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. I came across this fix by accident. Before suspending the machine, go to a different console by pressing (CTRL+ALT+F2) all at the same time. You should be in a new console. Log into that console then press (CTRL+ALT+F7) to take you back to your Graphical User Interface and then Suspend you machine. This works for me every time. Hope this helps some people.
    - Open or Free for me. - OpenSage -

Beans

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug
    Did work for me. However on resume, the screen is blank. Using the trick CTRL+ALT+F2 followed by CTRL+ALT+F7 allows me to get my screen back.

(ASUS U43F)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Still the same problem on 11.10 (development branch), using an Asus N82Jv.

On suspend the computer freezes with a blank screen and the disk activity led is always on (although there's no disk activity).

It works using the workaround at http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Suspend Problem

Well both the script mentionned in last post as well as the console workaround didn't change anything in my situation.

I guess that I'm going to downgrade to 10.04 LTS in near future, because this issue is really getting boring.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

things are now settled, with following comments.
    - downgrade to 10.04 LTS solves the issue. (But the available software is not matching my needs anymore)
    - upgrade to 11.10 also solves the issue. (But Unity and Gnome Shell are really nothing for me, I consider that Nautilus has been _downgraded_ moving from 11.04 to 11.10).

-> Finally I choose to move to Kubuntu 11.10, which solves the issue and leaves me with a reasonably flexible desktop configuration.

End of the story as far as I'm concerned, thanks to those who tried to help...

Beans

This problem happens to me rather often in 11.04 and I would like to add a few details that people seem to have missed. Often when I try to resume and the screen remains blank I have discovered that it is ONLY blank and the log in window is actually there like normal and I can type my password to get in, I just have to do it blind. The screen comes back up after that. Other times it doesn't work however, but once I seem to recall the screen coming up and finding my password typed out a few times in gEdit as if it simply took a little while for the screen to come back.
    Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 7552G-6061

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123