Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    CTRL+Delete does and CTRL+SHIFT+Delete permanently deletes it.
    thanks, but .... wtf? is this for security reasons? why dont just use the "Supr" o "Del" button? (without crtl)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Yeah, you can only delete via the mouse, the delete key doesn't do it. That what you mean?
    Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    CTRL+Delete does and CTRL+SHIFT+Delete permanently deletes it.
    We need Ctrl button now for deleting files

Thanks, I finally know how...
    Last edited by karmila; June 1st, 2011 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

After a fresh installation of LM11, I added Gnome 3 from ppa. Now I have Gnome 3.0.2(Fallback session) & the following issues:

- eog editor is so slow(system use nouveau graphic driver). EOG is not a slow with a small images,
    but is extremely slow with large images (i see broken images)[SOLVED - proprietary driver 173 installed]

- Gnome System Monitor work very well but need 2-5 sec to exit(which is not a case in Gnome 2.3)

- Mint application 'Desktop Settings' seem to have no effect on the Gnome 3

- Exit and logout(mintMenu) buttons not work

Does anyone have the following problems?
    Last edited by daniel4m; June 2nd, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Beans

If some of the above suggestions don't work for people, you can try the following as it worked for me.

When I tried to install Gnome 3, I restarted my laptop, but it didn't give me the option to log into it, and everything failed. So I tried running in Recovery Mode and re-typed "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell" and "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell", in that order. Then restarted my laptop again. If has been stated before, my apologies. I'm just excited to figure out something on my own in Linux for once

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

You have two auto login choices, force a downgrade to the 2.32 gdm (which works), or start over with oneiric, it runs well but is highly unstable right now.
    Shame Alpha 1 is far too unstable at the moment (I installed gnome-shell but whenever I log in and press the Applications menu it just crashes and I have to log out. So until 11.10 is stable... How do I downgrade to GDM 2.32?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    Shame Alpha 1 is far too unstable at the moment (I installed gnome-shell but whenever I log in and press the Applications menu it just crashes and I have to log out. So until 11.10 is stable... How do I downgrade to GDM 2.32?

Thanks!
    Using synaptic it's just a matter of selecting your gdm (highlight it), click package on the menu, then force, you'll get a window pop up, select a previous version and install. From the same menu you will want to lock the version so any more updates won't overwrite your version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post

Thanks!
    ya there is a fix for this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1775049
    i installed and have running gnome-shell in Oneiri, took a bit of wk and i also manually upgraded GDM and gnome-tweak-tool and added the ricotz testing ppa
    wks fine and is noticably faster than natty

Beans
    Distro

Using synaptic it's just a matter of selecting your gdm (highlight it), click package on the menu, then force, you'll get a window pop up, select a previous version and install. From the same menu you will want to lock the version so any more updates won't overwrite your version.
    I really like what you have for a theme which one are u using?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bmbaker View Post
    I really like what you have for a theme which one are u using?
    A slightly modified Atolm for the shell & Atolm-gtk3 for the windows. To get it without the pink lines make sure you aren't using ricotz gnome-themes-standard (if you have his ppa turned on). I've gotten in the habit of just using his ppa to fix select problems. He has warned us that some of his packages are a bit unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by daniel4m View Post
    After a fresh installation of LM11, I added Gnome 3 from ppa. Now I have Gnome 3.0.2(Fallback session) & the following issues:

- eog editor is so slow(system use nouveau graphic driver). EOG is not a slow with a small images,
    but is extremely slow with large images (i see broken images)[SOLVED - proprietary driver 173 installed]

- Gnome System Monitor work very well but need 2-5 sec to exit(which is not a case in Gnome 2.3)

- Mint application 'Desktop Settings' seem to have no effect on the Gnome 3

- Exit and logout(mintMenu) buttons not work

Does anyone have the following problems?
    Best to start a thread separately. What is your system configuration? Do you have a nvidia graphics card? If yes, use 'Additional Drivers' (System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers) from the repository, to install the so called 'restricted' drivers for your nvidia card.

PS -- Best to use drivers from www.nvidia.com instead, if you don't mind updating them manually. (Good to know you've solved this ).

Use 'gnome-tweak-tool' as outlined in the first post of this thread, to change gnome settings. For under the hood stuff, use the command line interface (CLI) and look up the man page for 'gsettings':

Code:
    man gsettings
    Applications like ubuntu-tweak don't yet have support for the Gnome Shell.

What is mintMenu? Are you able to use the default Gnome3 logout button?
    http://xkcd.com/903/
    Registered Linux User #280857
    Registered Ubuntu User #33646

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast