Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 418

Thread: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    A picture is worth 1,000 words.
    Thanks Chuck, but if you go in the keyboard item, there is nothing to configure the layout (see the screen capture, in French, sorry about that).

    I finally found my way with the command line, but its really not as easy as the user interface.

    Another question regarding the tutorial. I followed it, but it seems that Evolution has not been updated. It is still at version 2.32 and not 3 according to the About dialog... And it is sometimes very very slow... How do I upgrade it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    1,607
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    You'd have to install it manually it looks like the PPA doesn't have Evolution 3.0, I thought it was.

    Also, lisati (I think that's the admins name) thank you for telling me about the Tutorials and Tips section, I completely forgot about it.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    You'd have to install it manually it looks like the PPA doesn't have Evolution 3.0, I thought it was.
    Ouch...
    I downloaded the source code, but the ./configure command failed because it did not find some Gnome3 related libraries that are only available in version 2.32 and not 3...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,292
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by neopium View Post
    Thanks Chuck, but if you go in the keyboard item, there is nothing to configure the layout (see the screen capture, in French, sorry about that).

    I finally found my way with the command line, but its really not as easy as the user interface.
    I'm sorry I don't know French. Glad you got it figured out with the command line, I read layout but for some reason thought you blew up a couple shortcuts. My bad.

    Don't have anything to offer on the Evolution problem since I usually uninstall it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Don't have anything to offer on the Evolution problem since I usually uninstall it.
    What email client do you use? I was very disapointed by Thunderbird and switched to Evolution, but now, with Gnome 3, its memory footprint expodes in a few seconds (I just deleted two messages and evolution took 1.6 Gb of RAM)...

    I guess Ubuntu is not ready for Gnome 3... Maybe I will have to switch to Fedora...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    I'm sorry I don't know French. Glad you got it figured out with the command line, I read layout but for some reason thought you blew up a couple shortcuts. My bad.
    The screenshot has only two tabs saying "General settings" and "shortcuts", no layout there.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,292
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by neopium View Post
    What email client do you use? I was very disapointed by Thunderbird and switched to Evolution, but now, with Gnome 3, its memory footprint expodes in a few seconds (I just deleted two messages and evolution took 1.6 Gb of RAM)...

    I guess Ubuntu is not ready for Gnome 3... Maybe I will have to switch to Fedora...
    This may sound funny but I've grown fond of using Gmail instead of dedicated email software.

    Not sure what Fedora offers that gnome 3 on Ubuntu doesn't. I'm starting to archive some notes on what I've been doing to mine, check out this link.

    http://cid-32ec6e89f4aa803b.office.l...spx/Linux?uc=1
    Last edited by cbowman57; April 29th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Updated link

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    This may sound funny but I've grown fond of using Gmail instead of dedicated email software.

    Not sure what Fedora offers that gnome 3 on Ubuntu doesn't. I'm starting to archive some notes on what I've been doing to mine, check out this link.

    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...13440325351139
    I can't read your link, I'm not on facebook

    Fedora will support Gnome officially in the next release due by th end of the month, while Ubuntu will not support it before october...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,292
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Sorry about that, I saved it to a .pdf and changed the link, hopefully it is accessible to everyone.
    Last edited by cbowman57; April 29th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    21

    Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Sorry about that, I saved it to a .pdf and changed the link, hopefully it is accessible to everyone.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •