Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

I have a little problem..

Most of the applications (Banshee, firefox-till I removed it) appear twice, one with a low resolution icons (resulting in blurriness) and once with a normal size icon.
    I thought it had something to do with something, until I realized Chrome shows only once

Thanks
    Last edited by Xantheil; May 4th, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Xantheil View Post
    I have a little problem..

Most of the applications (Banshee, firefox-till I removed it) appear twice, one with a low resolution icons (resulting in blurriness) and once with a normal size icon.
    I thought it had something to do with something, until I realized Chrome shows only once

Thanks
    I had the same problem, fixed it unintentionally by installing gnome-session and removing lxde + autoremove afterwards.

Beans

Hi, I have been playing around with this the last couple days, and came up with a different solution to installing natty+gnome3.

I didn't really like the idea of installing gnome2 plus compiz plus unity and so on and then removing all that (or more partly remove it) and than installing gnome3. So here is what I did:

I used the alternate cd to install a command line system and than added xorg and gnome 3 manually. That left me with a totally clean system, only gnome3 (and some ubuntu dependencies like ubuntuone, but that can be removed as well)... now I can start adding all my favorite apps, nice

For all who are interested, here are the steps necessary to make this work (no guaranties, this worked for me on a test machine, it doesn't necessarily mean it works for everyone or every pc). It is more the notes I took for myself to remember the steps if I ever have to do it again.

- use alternate cd to install a command line system (F4 in the installer)

-after reboot Ctrl+Alt+F1

sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude upgrade

sudo aptitude install python-software-properties (this includes add-apt-repository)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danilo/evolution (if you like to have evolution 3, include this repo here, it will prevent installing old libs and upgrading them later)

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install xorg

sudo aptitude install gnome-session

sudo aptitude install gdm

sudo aptitude install gnome-terminal network-manager gnome-tweak-tool gnome-themes-ubuntu ubunut-mono evolution

- reboot

sudo vi /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop
    - change "Name=Ubuntu" to "Name=Gnome3" or something you like, its what the default session is called in gdm (without "")
    - change "Exec=gnome-session --session=ubuntu" to "Exec=gnome-session --session=gnome" (without "")

- if wired connections are not managed by network manager:
    sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
    - comment out anything with eth0 (# are comments)

- in gnome tweak tool: interface -> icon theme -> ubuntu-mono-dark
    - in gnome tweak tool: windows -> action on title bar middle-click -> minimize
    - in gnome tweak tool: shell -> arrangement of buttons on the titlebar -> minimize and close

That's it, have fun. If someone is using video drivers like the "nvidia-current", probably after installing xorg is a good point to install them... My machine has an older ATI card and is using the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver, so I didn't have to do that step.

Everything works very well so far.

Beans

Apparently after upgrading gnome-session-bin today my Gnome 3 broke.

Time to try something new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mercurycc View Post

From the logon screen, open the recovery console.

From the recovery console open synaptic, 'sudo synaptic'
    Click on "Upgrade All"
    Mark selected files for upgrade.
    Apply, then reboot, selecting "Ubuntu GNOME .." whatever it is, login as per usual.

Haven't tried yet but it's possible this upgrade fixed the autologin bug, it definitely changed /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop so if you'd edited it you might want to edit again.

* Did not fix autologin.
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 5th, 2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Typo & additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mercurycc View Post

How you did upgrade it?
    I was just looking in synaptic and noticed some strange things:
    gnome - session and gnome - session - bin packages are both under version 3.0.0.
    The description for the gnome - session package says: "This package contains a session that can be started from a display
    manager such as GDM. It will load all necessary applications for a
    full-featured user session.

The session manager also features the ability to save a running session
    an restore it later."
    Underneath, i can see a gnome3 - session package which is not installed, version is 2.32.1, and here's the description: "This package contains a session that can be started from a display
    manager such as GDM. It will load all necessary applications for a
    full-featured user session.

The session manager also features the ability to save a running session
    an restore it later.

This version is configured to start the GNOME 3 desktop, based on the
    GNOME shell.
    If i try to install gnome3 - session, i get a notice that gnome - session and ubuntu - desktop packages, are about to removed. Strange?

Beans

Hey guys, so I followed the instructions in the first post and it all went pretty smoothly, however when I rebooted and logged in to the "Ubuntu Gnome Shell" it didn't look right. Everything seems to work fine, however, the bar up top is all strange looking, the icons in the bar are all messed up, and some of the text in the application list is messed up. I followed the instructions of removing the accessibility theme and then installing the standard theme, however it didn't change anything. I attached a screenshot of my desktop so you guys can see how it looks.

Like I said, everything seems to work fine, it just looks messed up, anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Would a simple uninstall/reinstall work? Thanks for your time and help guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kagedin View Post
    Hey guys, so I followed the instructions in the first post and it all went pretty smoothly, however when I rebooted and logged in to the "Ubuntu Gnome Shell" it didn't look right. Everything seems to work fine, however, the bar up top is all strange looking, the icons in the bar are all messed up, and some of the text in the application list is messed up. I followed the instructions of removing the accessibility theme and then installing the standard theme, however it didn't change anything. I attached a screenshot of my desktop so you guys can see how it looks.

Like I said, everything seems to work fine, it just looks messed up, anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Would a simple uninstall/reinstall work? Thanks for your time and help guys.
    Are you by chance running any restricted drivers? I heard GNOME 3 isn't working well with them
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RJ12 View Post
    Are you by chance running any restricted drivers? I heard GNOME 3 isn't working well with them
    Yes actually, I'm running ATI restricted drivers. I also have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed, so should I disable them and uninstall CCC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kagedin View Post
    Yes actually, I'm running ATI restricted drivers.
    You need to disable those, that should fix the issues your having.
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast