Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing WICD

Beans

Removing WICD

Okay, apparently there is some bug when using wicd with 11.04. I used wicd with no problems until I upgraded to 11.04. Now I do not get an indicator on the menu bar, so I can't manage my network connections, although I am connected to my wireless router. I tried removing wicd through the ubuntu software center, then rebooting and reinstalled it, still no indicator. My laptop is a HP DM3 with AMD processor that dual boots with Win7. I can't continue to use Ubuntu without the wireless indicator. Can anyone tell me how to revert to the default network manager, which I'm hoping will have a menu indicator. Otherwise it's goodbye Ubuntu and hello Win7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Removing WICD

Have you already tried 'sudo apt-get purge wicd && sudo apt-get install network-manager --reinstall' ?

Not certain but that might do it.

Beans

I can try that, do I type it exactly as you have indicated, is it all one command line?

Beans
    Distro

You can do it in 2 steps to make it easier.
    1 Install network-manager, reboot and see if you can use it.
    2 Remove WICD

Beans

that worked, I now have an indicator for network.
    Thanks much!

Beans
    Distro

Great news. Like willie said, you can do it in two steps, the '&&' just lets you string multiple commands together.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu blocks the regular system tray icons from showing in Ubuntu 11.04. You can run this command to reenable the system tray:

Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"
    Then you can use WiCD if you prefer it.
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

I might try this command to reenable the tray, but will that give me a tray that's cluttered with many icons? Right now I just have bluetooth, battery, network, and a couple more showing on the right side of the menu bar.

Beans
    Distro

That command will enable all icons. By default, Ubuntu enables the list below:

Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray']"
    to enable WiCD, just add it to the end of the list. I'm not sure what Wicd's name is to Ubuntu. Try this:

Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'wicd-client.py']"
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

Ok, when I get home from work I'll try it, or maybe I'll just enable all. I originally switched to Wicd cuz network manager kept dropping my wireless with 10.10, it was a bug. Maybe network manager will behave under 11.04 and I can just leave it as is, although Wicd does seem more robust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast