Thread: PlayOnLinux + steam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question PlayOnLinux + steam

Hi everyone,

I have tried this manually and through PlayOnLinux but got the same result.

I installed the latest versions of each under 10.10 and now 11.04 then tried to run steam. I managed to get it going, log in and then it does everything (updates, logs in, brings up main screen) until the news pop-up shows up and this crashes it without any warning.

I'm sure I've read of other people having this problem on the net but also wonder if its my graphics card drivers? I have an old XT1900XT so as far as I know isnt supported by the official ATi drivers. Ubuntu installed the 'Additional Drivers' by default which I presume are the free ones. Could this be the problem? I have however got Guild Wars working (well upto the log in screen, forgot my details ) without any problems.

Thanks,

Ken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: PlayOnLinux + steam

Wow I thought people would be jumping on this in the Wine section because I thought it was a common/easy task but I guess I underestimated it!

I even tried to quickly click the 'x' to close the update pop up of steam but doesn't work

EDIT: Do I need to give more information to get help? I'm not sure what else to say apart from I'm using all the latest versions of Ubuntu, PlayOnLinux/Wine and I have tried it under Windows XP and 7 (although XP worked better).
    Last edited by Ken UK; April 30th, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

Beans

I have been having the same problems with Steam through PlayOnLinux on 11.04. I even tried just installing Steam through wine itself and I got the same crash when the news and store screens pop up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Its frustrating because as far as I have read its one of the easiest programs to run under wine. Something must have been updated in steam to upset it or something it needs is required.

Has anyone managed to fix this problem yet? Is there anyone who doesn't have this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem here and can't find a solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..