Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Beans

Re: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    By the way, you can live without window decorations. It is a lot of screen to waste on three buttons. I've done away with them completely (on my machine the setting says `none') and use compiz plugins to open/close windows and throw them around the screen.
    Thats my main issue with this, as it is right now chrome is the only window I can resize/move to where I want it on my screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Wickk View Post
    Thats my main issue with this, as it is right now chrome is the only window I can resize/move to where I want it on my screen.
    Look under window management in the compiz config settings manager. Activate the `move' and `resize' plugins and assign mouse shortcuts to them. There are also some useful settings hiding under `general'. In particular the window menu, maximise, minimise and close actions can be found and assigned there. And activate a couple of switchers - the ring switcher and shift switcher are both good.

With a bit of thought as to which key/mouse settings to use you can set something up so you'll never miss the titlebar. I use the `windows' key in combination with other stuff for all my windows actions which makes it easy to remember.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

i have this same problem i cant enable windows decorations because then my unity intrface disappears even throught thats enabled

Beans

Enabling the Window Decorations plugin in CCSM was the fix for me, but I had already jettisoned the seemingly useless Unity by that time. (By switching to Unubtu Classic mode on the login screen.) Maybe the Unity window decorations have problems with compiz?

edit: Ok, sorry! Unity isn't really useless. I just thought it was because I couldn't get my sftp gtk bookmarks to work and they're important to me, but I've since found a solution to that.
    Last edited by bscoder; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: updated info

Beans

I'm just giving up for now and sticking with fluxbox. I can get by with using ctrl, super, and alt to resize and movie my windows, but thats feels like a giant step back. I've installed, reinstalled, reconfigured compiz and CCSM and no dice. Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm hoping there'll be an update in short order to fix it, or at least give us an option. I can get by without window decorations but it makes my desktop feel scruffy not having borders and titles on pop-up windows and dialogs.
    Has any one else experienced a unstable topbar too? It crashes when changing compiz settings or pulling chrome from a maximized state.

I have to admit, the updated firefox, and unity combination work well when FF is maximized and being able to pin tabs... it's not all bad.
    Hmmm... I think I may know this one Herbert.

Beans
    Hidden!

In 10.10 (and earlier versions) I occasionally found Compiz would lose window decorations. To fix this I always installed fusion-icon (runs in the notification area) and selected "Reload Window Manager" from its right-click menu. Not tested this in Unity yet, though.

Beans

I've got compiz fusion icon installed but it doesn't seem to do anything. What I do have is a maximise minimise and close icon when a window is full. They are not in any theme I have chosen and disappear when the window is not full size?
    The rest of compiz works fine, I can grab windows, resize them and throw them all over the cube. Miss the eye candy from emerald though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The more I use it the more I really miss my window decorations but I'm determined to try unity...

Any Ubuntu gurus out there with any more suggestions??? please...

Can OP add some tags to his post to see if it gets more attention?
    Hmmm... I think I may know this one Herbert.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MugOTea View Post
    Can OP add some tags to his post to see if it gets more attention?
    Done.

I'm not really watching this thread anymore however. If something good comes out of it then well all the better but for the most part like I said previously I'm remaining happy with fluxbox

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast