Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity Dash settings

Beans

Unity Dash settings

Hey guys.
    Guess what? I just upgraded to 11.04! Oh, yes, happy me!
    If it weren't for a few problems...

Basically, I want to:
    Customize the applets in the upper-right so I can remove items which I don't want to have there, no idea how to do that.

Oh, and Dash, how can I change the settings of that Dash/launcher (or whatever it's called, not into the Unity terms yet) thingie?

I don't want stuff like "recent documents" in the Files & Folders tab for example.

Help would be very appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unity Dash settings

This is the best I have, and what I have used, for configuring unity.
    http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795...guide-to-unity
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    This is the best I have, and what I have used, for configuring unity.
    http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795...guide-to-unity
    Wow, it seems like there's a rather great lack of good configuration tools for the Unity UI... A pretty big disappointment.
    Might have to change back to "Ubuntu Classic".

Beans
    Distro

Could be but I do expect further documentation to be available soon. Classic is always an option for now.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I went back to classic because I found it too hard to find reliant applications via the new Unity UI. seriously, my productiviy levels fell a lot due to Unity this morning. Everything seems to be muddled up, it got on my nerves a lot and I had to restrain myself from reinstalling 10.10 but I settled on classic.

my advice would be to use classic if you can't get it to work the was you want.
    the dumb question is the one not asked.........

Beans
    Distro

Any application that you are running can be kept on the launcher in unity by just a right click. Anything you normally found in a program group still can be by a right click on the applications lens in the unity launcher. I think users just need to spend a few moments learning how to take advantage of unity. Jorge's site previously posted is a good way to spend those few moments.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Any application that you are running can be kept on the launcher in unity by just a right click.
    I don't like the fact that Unity is not organised in the sense that it takes a long time to find any app or setting that you have not stored in the favourites, i tried using Unity while doing work today but just found everything taking longer.
    the dumb question is the one not asked.........

Beans
    Distro

I have yet to find a way to remove the "Workspace Switcher" button. Its functionality is easily duplicated with some simple, built-in, pre-existing keyboard shortcuts.

Beans
    Distro

Unity menu hides when it shouldn't

I tried running 11.04 from a USB stick on my Eee PC901.
    Take the situation where one application is already launched and I want to launch a second one. Move the cursor tho the LHS of the screen and the menu appears. Then move onto an icon and before there is chance to click on it the menu disappears. Surely the menu should never hide when a cursor is over it. I can't imagine that this could be adjusted in settings as who would possibly want a menu to hide while a cursor is focused on it?

Thumbs down on Unity from me so far. I am very happy with Gnome 2 and AWN. AWN does more things too and I can't think of anything else I'd like better.

So, I'll install 11.04, on my new desktop computer, but will switch to Gnome immediately, I'll revisit Unity some time in the future, to check out progress, but it will have to work properly and offer at least the same level of functionality as AWN.

Beans
    Distro

The functionality you mention is configurable and if your open application wasn't open full screen it wouldn't have done what you described.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast