Thread: extension "GLX" missing on 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question extension "GLX" missing on 11.04

After upgrading to 11.04, Ubuntu says my hardware are not good enough for Unity, so I have to use Classic desktop. However, I lost OpenGL.

glxinfo shows
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    lspci shows
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

How can I get OpenGL back?

Beans

Re: extension "GLX" missing on 11.04

I have same problem, just can't believe that on every other ubuntu version since 9.04 was working without any problem. Btw i have intel hd graphic. I guess i am going to restore my 10.10 installation with clonezilla, will be back in 1 month to install 11.04 again

Beans

I have a similiar problem.
    Just got Natty Narwhal installed on my system, and I've run into problems; the proprietary drivers are "activated but not in use", meaning Unity won't run, and typing 'unity' at command line returns the above error, and also

Compiz (opengl) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
    Compiz (bailer) - Info: Ensuring a shell for your session

Then I get a warning from Window manager about an _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message; apparently "these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck"

I've looked all over, and the solutions are either outdated or nonrelevant.

Can anybody please help me get Unity back? I suspect this is also causing problems during boot (like mountall: disconnected from Plymouth, which causes boot-up to hang)

Thanks in advance.

Beans

After extensive searching (this problem seems to be quite common with different solutions for different versions of Ubuntu on different machines)I found this thread, which seems to provide some insight:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1722306

I haven't had the time to try it yet. It seems as if we have to run

ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo

and see if it is loading the "correct" library, libgl from nvidia-current. If not, run dpkg -S "address of library"

(in this case something like /usr/lib/libGL.so.1)

This finds out which package the faulty library is coming from. Then delete those libraries. I'm not sure why the guy on the other thread used /bin/rm instead of just rm.

Next run

ldconfig

to create the links to the libraries, and then run

ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo

again to check that libGL.so.1 is linking to /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1. If it does your problems should be over. I might try this tomorrow if I have time. Maybe you can try it and report back. Note that I haven't tried this yet.

If there is anything wrong with this post I'd be grateful to anyone who points that out. I've tried so many different ways from what solutions I've read online, and none have worked so far. The GNOME shell still works for me if I login to recovery mode, but unity doesn't, and I get the mountall: disconnected from Plymouth message when booting normally. Not sure if it is an error message. I'm hoping it is linked to the graphics driver problem and that problem will depart when this one is solved.
    Last edited by shademere; May 2nd, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I fixed my computer powered by Intel graphics card by removing nvidia-settings and nvidia-current packages. Thanks for the hint.

Beans

Good on you, yvsong. I tried that and it worked a treat. I don't think 3D acceleration still working, but better to have unity working and no problems. I guess I'll mess around a bit more with it when I have time. Have you tried the Experimental 3D support for nvidia cards? It doesn't look too bad.

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

I had this problem too, and for a long while I didn't bother to fix it (I've tried before). Just now I've managed to fix it though.

I've checked my Xorg log, and saw it was loading GLX as nvidia, even though I use Intel. So I removed nvidia-settings and nvidia-current (this one is the one causing the problem), (might as well remove nvidia-common also). Checked my logs again, and now it's using ATI! So searching again, now I needed to remove fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle. Hope this helped someone!

Update: You can set mesa as the GL driver without uninstalling everything. Just 'sudo update-alternatives --config gl_conf' and select mesa.
    Last edited by James78; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Fix command typo

Beans

From theiszm - https://theiszm.wordpress.com/2010/0...ng-on-display/

Just trying it now...

I’ve recently upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, and the first time I ran SciLab I got no graphics. I’m using an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 video card, and when I check the implementation this is what I get:
    tisza@tisza-ubuntu:~$ sudo lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    tisza@tisza-ubuntu:~$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

3 GLXFBConfigs:
    visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
    id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat

After poking around a couple of forum pages, I finally got a workaround. Thank you ~witekk for the fix. So here’s how to do it. On the terminal (as root):
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

Luckily, this solves the same problem with two other graphic controllers:

• Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    • Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

There you have it. Enjoy!
    img, #cubbies-overlay{ -moz-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -moz-transition-duration: 0.1s; -webkit-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.1s; } .cubbies-selected{ z-index: 9999; box-shadow: 3px 3px 8px -1px blue !important; cursor: pointer !important; margin: -3px 3px 3px -3px; } .cubbies-selected:active{ box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px -1px darkblue !important; margin: -1px 1px 1px -1px; } #cubbies-overlay{ position: fixed; z-index: 9999; bottom: 30px; left: 30px; box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); border: none; } #cubbies-overlay:hover{ box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgb(0,0,0); }

Beans

Thank you. This worked for me.