Thread: Two hard drives for two Ubuntus?

Beans

Two hard drives for two Ubuntus?

I've got U10.04 on my ThinkPad T61. Recently I got a new hard drive. Can I just pop out the old one, pop in the new hard drive, install 11.04 on it ... and basically have two Ubuntu dists that way? Or is there something I'm missing. Also, do I have to do something to my new hard drive (format?) before I can install 11.04 on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Two hard drives for two Ubuntus?

Quote Originally Posted by olwe View Post
    I've got U10.04 on my ThinkPad T61. Recently I got a new hard drive. Can I just pop out the old one, pop in the new hard drive, install 11.04 on it ... and basically have two Ubuntu dists that way? Or is there something I'm missing. Also, do I have to do something to my new hard drive (format?) before I can install 11.04 on it?

Um if I'm not wrong, the machine you are talking about only has 1 hard drive. If that is right, then when you "pop out" your old hard drive you will not be able to access that partition again (obviously, as its not connected). If there are two slots in your laptop for hard drives then all you need to do is do a dual Ubuntu boot by installing a fresh copy on the new hard drive. There is no special formatting required, the Ubuntu installer should handle that for you.

Beans

Um if I'm not wrong, the machine you are talking about only has 1 hard drive. If that is right, then when you "pop out" your old hard drive you will not be able to access that partition again (obviously, as its not connected). If there are two slots in your laptop for hard drives then all you need to do is do a dual Ubuntu boot by installing a fresh copy on the new hard drive. There is no special formatting required, the Ubuntu installer should handle that for you.
    No, I do mean physically take out the old hard drive (easy procedure on a T61 laptop) and stick in a new hard drive. If I'm not mistaken, there's nothing else about an OS except on a hard drive, right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

set your new hdd, then follow this help to prepare installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...28&postcount=2

Beans

The only place an operating system resides is on the hard drive. This is a correct statement, yes? If yes, then I should be able to take out a hd, put in a new one, and install a completely different operating system, correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by olwe View Post
    The only place an operating system resides is on the hard drive. This is a correct statement, yes? If yes, then I should be able to take out a hd, put in a new one, and install a completely different operating system, correct?
    Correct.