Thread: Minecraft Black Screen After Downgrade?

Beans

Minecraft Black Screen After Downgrade?

Okay, so I just installed the best game ever on my computer (better known as Minecraft). I am completely new to Ubuntu, but I got it to work after a bit. It came as a .jar file, so I had to download this Sun Java 6 Runtime stuff to open it with, and it worked great. For those of you who play Minecraft, you should know it is in Beta testing and there are many different versions. I wish to play 1.4, and it is currently at 1.5. I went to my .minecraft folder where all my minecraft stuff is located, and I replaced the bin folder there with an older 1.4 version I had saved online on my windows computer. I closed it, tried starting minecraft, it popped up, I logged it, I clicked "do no update", and it gave me a black screen. Sorry if I have not provided enough information. Can anyone help me on this?

Beans

Re: Minecraft Black Screen After Downgrade?

Copy your world/settings files into a safe place then delete the originals and try again. The latest version has many world changes and if the world/settings are for 1.5 (they'd convert automatically when the program launches) they won't work on version 1.4 and could easily explain the crash. If that doesn't work try launching from CLI (terminal) and post the output here for further investigation.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

Re: Minecraft Black Screen After Downgrade?

Hmm.. What do you mean by that? I went to my bin folder, deleted the saves folder, and tried running it, and the black screen still appeared. I deleted some other folders and tried it and not only did the black screen appear, but it did not remake those folders.