Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the difference between ubuntu and linux mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Whats the difference between ubuntu and linux mint?

Hello ubuntu community,
    I hav been looking at other linux distros and one thing I keep coming across is linux mint and it looks pretty cool, and I am wondering whats the difference between mint and ubuntu, first I know that mint is based off of ubuntu and thats one of things that really caught my eye (*hint*repositories*hint*), so I was wondering what the major differences are between them and if possible provide some screenshots.

Thanks for your time

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Whats the difference between ubuntu and linux mint?

The Ubuntu-based Mint is Ubuntu + the so-called Mint-tools (Mint menu, Mint software center, etc.) + Mint repos + some non-free things such as Flash and codecs preinstalled. And the dominant purple becomes very very green.

Mint also recently released two versions of their distribution based not on Ubuntu but on Debian Testing.

Beans

Its basically Ubuntu with all the multimedia codecs already installed and some additional tools to make computer administration easier.

They get it right since LM is always No 2. on the Distrowatch charts!

Beans

It's a more polished version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not sure that's a good way to describe it. Some might find that Ubuntu's social networking add-ons give it an extra degree of polish over mint. Likewise some may find purple/orange > green (both ugly in my opinion). And now with Unity coming along, a whole new host of reasons to rate Ubuntu over/under Mint will arise.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    It's a more polished version of Ubuntu.
    Perhaps; though I think that is a personal viewpoint rather than absolute fact.

On the other hand, Linux Mint Debian Edition, which could potentially be a big thing in my opinion, is still pretty rough around the edges in many aspects.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; April 26th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.

Beans

I Dont think that is true.
    I have used both Linux Mint Julia(latest) after Ubuntu 10.10 .
    Though on first it looks good,but when you use there are some problems
    1.While updating it always reloads,which I find irritating.
    2. there is more stuttering in Linux mint,a lot.
    Though theme is pretty good as compared to Ubutu.
    But that is personal I guess.

Beans

For the most part it's as stated earlier ... all the codecs etc. are pre-installed. Audio and wireless pretty much work out of the box. Mint seems to handle that better. The desktop is quite different and I steered clear of it because of that until now. With Ubuntu going to Unity, I've switched all my systems (except my personal one) to Mint 10. Mint is a lot simpler for the new guy to get everything up and running. All the Medibuntu stuff and all seems to be there already. Under the hood, it's still debian based and all the Ubuntu repos work (with the exception fo the two (I think two) Mint debian versions. I'm talking gobbledby gook, but think you get the point. If you don't like Unity, Mint is a good option. For how long????????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Perhaps; though I think that is a personal viewpoint rather than absolute fact.

On the other hand, Linux Mint Debian Edition, which could potentially be a big thing in my opinion, is still pretty rough around the edges in many aspects.
    I will say LMDE is a little rough around the edges too. be prepared to have to install your video card drivers enable compiz and get that set up install restricted codecs yourself and you may get some broken packages once in a while when updating but its been fun so far!I love it it seems snappier than Ubuntu its probably not the distro you would want if just getting started in Linux as it takes some tweaking to get everything working properly but its a fun one to use if youve got some experience with linux.I had been using Karmic for a year before this and this probably wouldve scares me as everything just didnt work out of the box but its a great little spin on mint!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer1240 View Post
    I will say LMDE is a little rough around the edges too. be prepared to have to install your video card drivers enable compiz and get that set up install restricted codecs yourself and you may get some broken packages once in a while when updating but its been fun so far!I love it it seems snappier than Ubuntu its probably not the distro you would want if just getting started in Linux as it takes some tweaking to get everything working properly but its a fun one to use if youve got some experience with linux.I had been using Karmic for a year before this and this probably wouldve scares me as everything just didnt work out of the box but its a great little spin on mint!
    What do you mean by "rough around the edges" and "snappy?"

Also, does Mint have identical support of hardware as Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast