Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: root privileges?

Beans

root privileges?

I was installing a driver for a printer, when I was asked for the root (administrative) privileges. I typed my password, but the notification says it is wrong. I have no idea what the problem is. Is there any way to determine what the root password is? I assumed it was the same as the password I use for everything else on my computer. How can one determine the root password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: root privileges?

On Ubuntu you don't really use root as a user with a password. Instead, you use your own password by prefixing the command with "sudo"

For example, if you want to run "apt-get install python" as root, you actually type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python
    Then you just enter YOUR password, as long as you are a superuser (in the sudoers file) on the computer. Or, if you want to actually log in as root, type this in the terminal and enter YOUR password:

Code:
    sudo su

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Check your caps lock, check you're pressing the correct keys, then count the number of asterisks in the password box and make sure it's correct.

This is a assuming you're NOT using a terminal with sudo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The root account is disabled by default.

Use sudo instead.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

The prompt for the password is not in terminal, it is in the little step-by-step install thing. I have tried my correct password to no avail. I'm not sure what the deal with it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am sure the root account must be enabled for this. I explained how to enable it in a previous post and I received a warning because its against ubuntu policy. Although as stated in their docs, there are times when using root is absolutely necessary. Just think about this....you can set a password with the command
    Code:
    passwd username
    that's all im saying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: root privileges?

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    I am sure the root account must be enabled for this. I explained how to enable it in a previous post and I received a warning because its against ubuntu policy. Although as stated in their docs, there are times when using root is absolutely necessary. Just think about this....you can set a password with the command
    Code:
    passwd username
    that's all im saying.

YOU ARE INCORRECT.

THEY DO NOT NEED TO ENABLE THE ROOT ACCOUNT TO INSTALL SOFTWARE!

You should not encourage users to enable the root account in this manner.

- zipperback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: root privileges?

The original poster has been provided information on how to properly install the software using sudo already.

For example: sudo apt-get install whatever

In regard to printer configurations however you should try this first: (it may be slightly different depending on your actual installation and version of ubuntu installed).

Click System then Administration then Printing.

Check to see if the printer is being properly recognized by the system and if so, then you should be able configure the specific printer via this interface.

If this is not working for you , please tell us what the specific manufacturer and model of your printer is.

Thank you.
    - zipperback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See this is what I am talking about. People freak out on here at the sheer mention of root like its a voodoo word. And yes zipper, sometimes you need root. It even says it in the ubuntu docs. Did you even read this guys problem? Or did you just freak out as soon as you saw my post? It is completely okay to enable root. Its not okay to use it for everything. Hence the use of sudo. A feature that is just as dangerous.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you need to enable the root account to accomplish something, it's a good idea to disable it again after you are done.

You can use this to 'lock' the root account:

Code:
    sudo passwd -l root
    In any case the OP hasn't told us anything other then "it prompts for a password"

What are you trying to install, and how are you trying to install it?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast