Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Well the new HDD arrived. I went into setup setting the DVD as 1st boot device, and the HDD as the second.

I am trying to boot off the 11.04 ISO, not set as a startup disk, just a plain ISO.

"Reboot and select the proper Boot device, or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key."

Hit "space" bar and the above request is displayed once more??

HDD is 500 GB SATA Seagate. SATA and motherboard cables connected. Connection to MB is #1 and DVD is #2.

Must be something in the way BIOS is configured?

Beans
    Distro

Adding, that I can briefly, on the American Mega Trends screen see that position one is listed as an IDE HDD, NOT a SATA drive?

Beans
    Distro

I'm just a little red in the face, but a good lesson for all. Just cause a disk has a label, doesn't mean there any data on it.

Thanks for the assistance men, sorry for the false alarm.

Bob R

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Apologies for getting side-tracked this week. I am confused about two things though:

What was the culprit?

And why were you using GParted to partition the disk instead of letting Ubuntu use it's own recommended default? (just curious)

Beans
    Distro

I think the "culprit" was my thinking that I had a valid ISO. Don't know why I didn't and now it's just water under the bridge.

As far as the partitioning, I had always, back 8.xx, partitioned my computers that way. Don't know if the habit was developed from "Running Linux" O.Reilly. I'm not sure that I like the fact that there is not ./ ./home etc. But, I'll do some study, or someone will clue me in as to the security features of the newer editions. When did one just install the ISO. You still run sudo, so there is "root" directory I guess. I still GParted in and see how the disk is partitioned, that will solve some things.

Say, thanks once more. I do appreciate your efforts. Maybe I can be of assistance to someone later down the road.

Bob R

Beans

My installation hangs at,

kernel_thread_helper

from a cd and a usb stick

Beans
    Distro

I did a IxQuick search and came up with this link. I think it's a good place to start.

http://www.absolutelytech.com/2010/1...-boot-process/

Bob R

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
    Ok, I've set the system, saved and exit, computer rebooted on it's own and I'm back to the BLACK screen with flashing cursor. My question is this normal on initial setup?
    Hi I do use ubuntu 10.04 and to me just before startup the flashing cursor is normal... But its only for a few seconds and then it starts up the graphics and asks me to login so its quite normal to me... Maybe its something wrong with your new computer... Thats usually rare... Or maybe its because if your using a cd the CD is corrupt.

Beans

Hello all!
    I am still new to ubuntu I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx On a Compaq SR1911X AMD64 w/ 1.5gigs mem

I have an issue with the mouse. I am using a Logitech MX700
    It has most of the features available under Windows but lately there is an issue that comes and goes. Not sure what causes it but it seems to get bad if I have to many programs running. Doesn't seem to take more than a few though.

When I right click on something and then move the mouse to choose a menu item, the menu disappears. I can use the down arrow and then hit enter but if I move the mouse, it's curtains for the menu.

Once this happens you would think it would be that way till I reboot but no, if I am patient, many times it will stop doing this.

When it happens there is always a tell tail sign, I will right click and nothing happens. As if the computer is thinking about it, even though there is no audible sound from the hard drive like I have learn to hate under Windows.

There is one more thing. Sometimes I go to less than desirable websites that tend to screw windows computers up. This is one of the motivations for running linux. I know there is something in the configuration file(s) because something new happens that started a month or so ago. A screen comes up with a message: something to the effect of do I want to scan the computer. If not hit C . The quicker I hit the C the better. I am pretty sure it is something I picked up and isn't working because this is a linix computer.

I know that makes me a butthole at least on some level but I am being honest here. Not trying to hide it.

This is really frustrating though and I really don't know where to look for the issue. I read a book on linux to try and understand more of the inner workings but when I get into the configuration files I gotta tell you, I am still pretty lost.

Can someone help please?

Jeff
    Greenwood Arkansas
    Last edited by badraven; August 3rd, 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by badraven View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx On a Compaq SR1911X AMD64 w/ 1.5gigs mem

I have an issue with the mouse. I am using a Logitech MX700
    When I right click on something and then move the mouse to choose a menu item, the menu disappears. I can use the down arrow and then hit enter but if I move the mouse, it's curtains for the menu.
    I think I know what you are describing, but you might want to notice whether it happens more in a particular application or in all applications. It may be a setting with the window manager, or (since you seem to think it might be the mouse) you might try changing the tracking settings to be a little less sensitive. Sorry I can't be more precise but if it's a problem with a particular application you might see if others have complained about that application's menus disappearing.

A screen comes up with a message: something to the effect of do I want to scan the computer. If not hit C . The quicker I hit the C the better. I am pretty sure it is something I picked up and isn't working because this is a linix computer.
    Are you describing something that comes up in the web browser, or are you describing the automatic hard drive check that comes up when you start the computer? If it's when you start the computer, just let it complete. It will happen about every 30 times you reboot the computer, or you can turn it off with a setting.

If you are talking about something that comes up when you are running your web browser, you may have a script that's gotten inserted into your browser (because even on a linux computer the browser IS still vulnerable to unsafe practices, such as installing unsafe browser addons). The easiest way is to delete or create a new Firefox profile. There are a couple of ways to do that... a Google search will turn up a couple of ways to delete the profile -- the easiest would be to close FireFox, then rename the ("hidden") .mozilla directory in your home directory. Rename it from ".mozilla" to something like "oldmozilla" and when you start FireFox it will create a new empty one.

P.S.: AS YOU CAN TELL this isn't the forum for QUICK responses -- if you haven't already, use the beginners forum to get faster responses. I will try to watch this one over the next few days to see if you respond.

--Tommy in Conway, AR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast