Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Roadrawts: Apologies if you feel you've already given this information, but can you restate for me what you need help with?

What are you trying to do specifically, do you have critical data that needs to be preserved, are there any other details that you can think of that might help in determining the nature of your problems? And remember! I can always ignore an irrelevant detail, but I cannot divine an unspoken one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

All brand new conponents. Unable to install because of "Searching NVRAM" Was unable to get past the BIOS AmeriMega Trends screen. Always stopped and hung up with a Black screen and a flashing white cursor in upper left corner.

Am able, by changing the CMOS jumpers, Resetting as it were. By moving the jumper on the CMOS header from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3, waiting ten seconds then returning the jumper to pins 1 and 2 resets everything back to zero.

The "error" message says "searching NVRAM". Looking up NVRAM I found that it means "Non Volatile RAM".

That gets me to where I can press F1 and get where I change the BIOS settings.

Correcting and saving settings, exiting program gets me back to a black screen and white flashing cursor. Back to square one. ???

Beans
    Distro

I re sat the CMOS because I had no way to communicate with the computer, only the black screen/white cursor. At that point all I could do was turn the box off/on. I could hit the front power button for a restart, but it always led me back to Black screen/white button.

This box is attempting to locate NVRAM, at least that is the message flashed on the bottom of the MEGA-trends banner screen, i.e. "Searching NVRAM".

Now I am back, by resetting CMOS jumpers, to the American Mega trends screen, where I can enter BIOS setup. i.e. press F1 to enter Setup. How ever until I understand what is causing "Searching NVRAM", I can't make a logical change.

I don't know what NV(non-volatile) RAM means. Is it on the video card, the mother board etc.

Have you an inkling as to what this is means "Searching NVRAM)?

Bob

Beans
    Distro

Maybe this is a little clearer. and from another forum this link helped

1. Reset jumpers on CMOS header, by moving jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3, waiting 10 plus seconds and returning to original position.

Boot and boot stops on the AMEITrends front page, saying use F1 to enter Setup. Also indicating that system clock needs to be reset.

Make time setting changes and pressing F10 to save. Brings me back to a reboot and then the Black Screen with white cursor in upper left of the screen.

So back to step one ad infinitum

Further:

NVRAM is an acronym for Non-Volatile Random Access Memory. NVRAM is a type of Random Access Memory (RAM) that retains its information when power is turned off. The NVRAM is a small 24 pin DIP (Dual Inline Package) integrated circuit chip and is thus able to obtain the power needed to keep it running from the CMOS battery installed in your motherboard. It keeps track of various system parameters such as serial number, Ethernet MAC (Media Access Control) address, HOSTID, date of manufacture, etc. NVRAM is therefore a type of non-volatile memory that offers random access.

Bad NVRAM

When NVRAM is failing, it generally means that your computer hardware is not retaining the necessary specialized settings that it ought to though the default BIOS settings remain. Since the BIOS relies on the settings stored in NVRAM in order to handle the particular hardware you have, performance may lack in stability. The contents of the NVRAM chip can become corrupted for a variety of reasons:

A failure of the embedded battery. If the battery embedded in the NVRAM chip fails, then this means that your system clock will stop running and important system configuration information may not be maintained.

A failure of the CMOS (BIOS) chip on your motherboard. If the CMOS chip is going bad or is not making proper contact with the motherboard's contacts, then the NVRAM will fail.

When you get an error message about your NVRAM:

You may need to purchase a new CMOS battery at your computer store to replace your current one. It is advisable to have a technician observe the battery first and determine whether you really need a new one.

If the BIOS chip was the problem, then you will need to contact your hardware manufacturer who may give you a replacement chip depending on your warranty. If not, then you will need to replace your motherboard.

You could also try to reprogram the NVRAM chip with a hostid and Ethernet address. You should only attempt to do this if you know exactly what you are doing; otherwise you should seek a technician's guidance.

Maybe this will help, and I will post progress reports.

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
    I re sat the CMOS because I had no way to communicate with the computer, only the black screen/white cursor. At that point all I could do was turn the box off/on. I could hit the front power button for a restart, but it always led me back to Black screen/white button.

This box is attempting to locate NVRAM, at least that is the message flashed on the bottom of the MEGA-trends banner screen, i.e. "Searching NVRAM".
    One thing I'm not absolutely clear about and I was hoping you would clarify... when and how did it fail? My reading of your initial post was this:

1) Booted the system (Using Ubuntu 11.04?)

2) Used gparted (instead of the Ubuntu installer) to set up a complicated set of partitions on a boot drive.

3) Installed Ubuntu (Did you actually complete this? Were there any error messages?)

4)Rebooted and the screen was mostly black. Now you cannot even boot the system as you did in step 1?

SO Is this correct? Please spell out what steps completed.

P.S.: I have heard of an NVRAM issue in Ubuntu 11.04 where the installer does something weird to the NVRAM and the motherboard has to go in for factory repair, but so far the only systems I have heard of where this happens are late-model Macintosh systems. Just in case you might do a couple of Google searches with your motherboard and Ubuntu NVRAM failure, just in case the bug is biting more than Apples.

EDIT: I think the following is what I had read, and this probably doesn't apply to your situation exactly:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743664

and

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-re...es/+bug/774089
    Last edited by Tommy; June 7th, 2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: found Apple installation failure

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Let's see since I first posted, we've (motherboard tech and I) have decided that it's not the motherboard. I've installed an old HDD still having XP-Pro formated. It loaded to the point of asking for files. and past the "black screen/white flashing cursor"(BSWFC)
    So, that eliminated the motherboard, also installed an old DVD writer and attempted to load the operating system on to the New HDD, BSWFC once more.
    Disconnected HDD from motherboard and using a memory stick brought up Ubuntu 10.10 ISO, then reconnected the HDD and got the BSWFC.
    The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200-12 SATA. The old HDD is WD IDE. Old DVD is IDE.

Currently waiting arrival of new Seagate Barracuda, but I not satisfied that I didn't create the problem. This is my first attempt to assemble a computer. There is no Master/Slave on the new drive as were with the old IDE's. The other header is a Jumper to another HDD, I suppose. Anyone constructive thoughts are appreciated. Now, if I haven't closed the subject, I'll go back and see if I can answer your questions with the hope they may assist in determining the problem.

"
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post

One thing I'm not absolutely clear about and I was hoping you would clarify... when and how did it fail? My reading of your initial post was this:

1) Booted the system (Using Ubuntu 11.04?)

2) Used gparted (instead of the Ubuntu installer) to set up a complicated set of partitions on a boot drive.

3) Installed Ubuntu (Did you actually complete this? Were there any error messages?)

4)Rebooted and the screen was mostly black. Now you cannot even boot the system as you did in step 1?

SO Is this correct? Please spell out what steps completed.

P.S.: I have heard of an NVRAM issue in Ubuntu 11.04 where the installer does something weird to the NVRAM and the motherboard has to go in for factory repair, but so far the only systems I have heard of where this happens are late-model Macintosh systems. Just in case you might do a couple of Google searches with your motherboard and Ubuntu NVRAM failure, just in case the bug is biting more than Apples.

EDIT: I think the following is what I had read, and this probably doesn't apply to your situation exactly:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743664

and

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-re...es/+bug/774089"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1 Never had 11.04 installed,
    Originally, I Ran Gparted. I wished the following partitions
    ./ For Security
    ./Home so, I can change with the upgrades, with out so much trouble.
    ./Data For just that i.e. everything accumulated day to day.
    ./Swap For system speed.

This is just a home office situation for my own research about the many subjects I'm interested in, so I think the partitioning will should work my needs?

After the partition effort, and I assume it did partition as I desired, I made the attempt to install 11.04. Gparted is an ISO DVD, *remember this it's a clue. I made the attempt to load the Ubuntu 11.04 ISO and got the BSWFC problem.

Never got the system installed, after many reboots. Finally figured out, that I could CTR/ALT/DEL at system start would get me to "BIOS setup". So, at least I could select hardware position.

2# May be running Ubuntu installer and coming back to partition would be easier, I don't know. It seems easier the way I attempted to do it??

3# as I said never got Ubuntu installed, due to what I believe is a hard ware problem.

4# Disconnect the HDD and use the memory stick I can go on-line wirelessly, gather mail, etc. This by it's self tells me that the motherboard is not the problem.

As to NVRAM (Non-volitial RAM), it has something with CMOS time setting. I would change the jumpers on CMOS (motherboard) and restart the box American Mega-trends screen would appear complaining the date/time was incorrect press F1 for setup. I would change the time/date settings F10 (save/exit) reboot ending up at the BSWFC screen, giving me the impression that the battery, or the CMOS chip was bad. Very confusing.

I'm going back to the links you provided, for another look.
    Hope I haven't muddied the water any further. Thanks for your effort, Tommy.

Bob R

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Anybody out there need help with an Ubuntu issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
    #1 Never had 11.04 installed,
    Originally, I Ran Gparted. I wished the following partitions
    ./ For Security
    ./Home so, I can change with the upgrades, with out so much trouble.
    ./Data For just that i.e. everything accumulated day to day.
    ./Swap For system speed.

This is just a home office situation for my own research about the many subjects I'm interested in, so I think the partitioning will should work my needs?

After the partition effort, and I assume it did partition as I desired, I made the attempt to install 11.04. Gparted is an ISO DVD, *remember this it's a clue. I made the attempt to load the Ubuntu 11.04 ISO and got the BSWFC problem.

Never got the system installed, after many reboots. Finally figured out, that I could CTR/ALT/DEL at system start would get me to "BIOS setup". So, at least I could select hardware position.

2# May be running Ubuntu installer and coming back to partition would be easier, I don't know. It seems easier the way I attempted to do it??
    No, the Ubuntu installer can do a pretty complicated partitioning arrangement, and I would actually trust it OVER gparted, as I have had some major bugs bite me in gparted. (I have NEVER had the terminal parted utility cause me trouble, however.)

SO I would recommend booting from an Ubuntu desktop USB stick or CD. The desktop should be completely functional. You can do a simple installation to your hard drive and see whether it reports a problem. You can do the complicated partitioning if you want -- at the point where it suggests what it is going to do to the drive, you tell it you want to do something different and it lets you define and identify all the partitions. (The Ubuntu installer is a front end to the old reliable Debian installer and you can invoke the Debian one instead if you need to but you shouldn't need to.)

A "standard" Ubuntu installation has just a swap and a root partition, but it's common enough to have others too, so the installer can handle those just fine.

You said you wanted a root partition for "security" but the root filesystem is not optional (the rest of the filesystem attaches to it), so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I suggest you just start with the standard installation with root and swap and maybe add a separate data partition on your next installation. If you want to have other OSes on the drive the installer and grub will detect them and leave them alone.
    Last edited by Tommy; June 9th, 2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added details

Beans
    Distro

Tommy,

I've removed what I believe to be the culprit, the HDD, and await it's replacement, by the end of the week hopefully. Then I view your instruction and have another go at it.
    Going have to get the texts out, I thought that ./ was protection, that ./home was always there to keep me from having the major problems in the past with new releases, anyway looking forward to another challenge. I'll be back.\\

Bob R.

Beans

I've had the same problems with windows refusing to install on a particular hard drive. I stuck it in a linux box that already had an OS setup. I jumped in the terminal and used partd. I removed the boot sector, deleted all partitions. I then unmounted the drive, shut down (all power) and started again. Went back into term, used partd again, created a partition, formated it the long way, and then put it back in the windows box and windows then installed correctly.

I have suspicions that the boot-sector wasn't being flushed properly, and therefore not being written properly.

Hope this helps, I'll watch this thread for updates.

Beans
    Distro

I pulled the HDD, and another is on the way. Little tired now, but what I plan is to stick the Gparted ISO into the new HDD. What I want and correct me if things have changed or I could help myself by doing the partitioning another way. I'd like ./ ./home ./Data and of course the ./swap all /dev/sda1 thru 4. I'm not the sharpest knife in the box. Appreciate any assistance. This started out as a "Skype" project. Now, I'm not sure that is possible? Anyway I'll have a great computer, to write my Biography on

Bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast