Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Ubuntu users like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What are Linux users like?

This article describes PC users as old and stody whereas MAC users are cool and young. It leaves open the question what are Linux users like? I think as Linux is used on PCs but uses a Unix based OS similar to MACs that we are exhibit the best of both worlds; young but experienced, cool but conservative in attitude, etc. What do you think?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/04/...ers/index.html
    Last edited by SuperFreak; April 24th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: What are Ubuntu users like?

After being a member and user of Ubuntu Linux I would have to say that it's a melting pot of individuals here.

Your question should have been "What are Linux users like". That's a more fair comparison.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Corrected. Clearly it was wrong to focus on one distro

Beans
    Hidden!

Well the make-up of Ubuntu users will vary considerably from those using Gentoo (if you look at the group in total)...

So I guess there are two questions: "How is a typical Ubuntu user like ?" and "How is a typical Linux user like?" ... As I don't like to be placed in a box or do that to others I will simply say... You will typically find an Ubuntu user running some varition of the Ubuntu distro on a PC they own or frequently use.

Beans

You should have it as GNU/Linux users since linux is just the kernel .

and i think it is too stupid to generalize users as there's a vast variety of individuals using GNU/Linux .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

See my avatar.

KegHead

Beans

On the user group mailing list I use it tends to be young people and old people with less in-between from what i've noticed.

I think Ubuntu would be different from other distributions in terms of generalisation. For me personally I used Ubuntu, along with other Linux distros, because I perceived it to be better, faster to get things done (with and without a shell) and thirdly because its accessible due to it being free in price.

I only really grasped free, as in free software, and its importance when setting up and managing servers. I would imagine the importance of "freedom" among user bases varies for each distro too.

At the end of the day its a very mixed bunch as you would expect. The only thing I can imagine, even with Ubuntu, is that users stem from other users who have interests in computers which isn't necessarily the case with other operating systems.

In terms of Mac; Mac is for young people who want to be cool and old people who want to be young, both of whom aren't .

Contrary to popular belief I don't think they have vast amount of disposable income similar to how a lot of iPhone buyers come from low income backgrounds. Its street cred for people that don't know a lot about technology and the fact that they can get better for free. I say give a Linux distro a shiny logo with some silver hardware and market it for 2 grand a pop and see what happens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

normal human beings who like to change a lot ?
    i guess

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

They can be eccentric musicians too. See this!
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLexman View Post
    They can be eccentric musicians too. See this!
    April Fools anyone?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast