Thread: Splitting WavPack files when the .cue file and .wv file have different names?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Splitting WavPack files when the .cue file and .wv file have different names?

If a directory contains an album encoded as one large .wv file and a .cue file, splitting the entire album into individual .flac tracks is a simple task:

Code:
    $ cuebreakpoints foo.cue | shnsplit -o flac foo.wv
    What I'd like to know is how to split a file where the names don't match up, e.g.: 'foobar.wv' and 'foo.cue'. If I attempt this I get this error message:

Code:
    shnsplit: warning: none of the builtin format modules handle input file: [foobar.wv]
    shnsplit: error: cannot continue due to error(s) shown above
    Do I need to alter the .cue file? Because simply renaming 'foobar.wv' to 'foo.wv' prior to splitting doesn't seem to work for me. Or is there something wrong with the wavpack package?
    Ubuntu 12.04: E8200 // P35 // 4GB // HD4850
    OS X 10.7.x: iMac 12,2; MacBook 5,2

Beans

Re: Splitting WavPack files when the .cue file and .wv file have different names?

The actual filename of the cue file should be irrelevant and does not have to match the flac / wvpack / ape file it references.

What is important is that the cue file is looking for the correct file internally - it is quite unusual to have a cue/wvpack pair with different names and sounds that one or other has been (accidentally) renamed in error at some point.

If you open the cue file in a text editor you can check which file it is looking for It is not unknown for a cue file to incorrectly looking for the wrong filetype (ie WAV when you have a single FLAC) so check that the cue is infact matched to you wvpack and not the original source WAVE.

Reading your original post again you may also be missing the wvpack codecs to read the file in the 1st place and may need to install wavpack or gstreamer via synaptic

Can you play the wvpack file in your media player?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Splitting WavPack files when the .cue file and .wv file have different names?

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    If you open the cue file in a text editor you can check which file it is looking for It is not unknown for a cue file to incorrectly looking for the wrong filetype (ie WAV when you have a single FLAC) so check that the cue is infact matched to you wvpack and not the original source WAVE.

Reading your original post again you may also be missing the wvpack codecs to read the file in the 1st place and may need to install wavpack or gstreamer via synaptic

Can you play the wvpack file in your media player?
    Hey satanselbow, thanks for the reply.

I've matched up a few of these .cue/.wv combos that aren't working. The .cue files are pointing to the correct files in each case.

wavpack is installed and is the latest version.

I can play the .wv files in various media players.

In short: I have no idea what's going on. Luckily .wv files make up a tiny proportion of my lossless music collection.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

hi there you could use gcue2tracks for this task

nb: Seems to work better if i split the wv to flacs on system

from post here
    Last edited by shantiq; April 26th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

shantiq: Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that script a go a little later tonight and report back.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't try the script as I'm having a bit of luck, for whatever reason, with decompressing the .wv to .wav and then altering the .cue file accordingly.

Not ideal but it's working so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

fine if you are happy that way

looked at your original post again and had a think and tested it

this is the line of code i have used from here

Place wv file and cuefile in a folder and cd to it

then

Code:
    cuebreakpoints *.cue | shnsplit -o wv  *.wv
    First make sure you open the cuesheet and that the name of the music file is the same in the cuesheet
    the name of the cuesheet does not matter and can be different from the name of the music file but the name of the music file written in the cuesheet must match

in my case here my music file is Willits + Sakamoto - Ocean Fire.wv

Code:
    REM DATE 2008
    REM DISCID 5A0D2407
    REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4
    PERFORMER "Willits + Sakamoto"
    TITLE "Ocean Fire"
    FILE "Willits + Sakamoto - Ocean Fire.wv" WAVE
      TRACK 01 AUDIO
        TITLE "Toward Water"
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
      TRACK 02 AUDIO
        TITLE "Umi"
        INDEX 01 08:11:39
      TRACK 03 AUDIO
        TITLE "Sea Plains"
        INDEX 01 11:07:53
      TRACK 04 AUDIO
        TITLE "Sentience"
        INDEX 01 20:10:66
      TRACK 05 AUDIO
        TITLE "Chi-Yu"
        INDEX 01 28:28:22
      TRACK 06 AUDIO
        TITLE "Cold Heat"
        INDEX 01 36:57:74
      TRACK 07 AUDIO
        TITLE "Ocean Sky Remains"
        INDEX 01 44:44:17

And it should go through fine (no tags sadly)
    Last edited by shantiq; April 28th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    First make sure you open the cuesheet and that the name of the music file is the same in the cuesheet
    the name of the cuesheet does not matter and can be different from the name of the music file but the name of the music file written in the cuesheet must match...
    I think you've hit on the problem precisely. And I think I was having success by decompressing to .wav first purely because I then altered the .cue file to expect a .wav (the line you've marked in red). In this way I made sure the two agreed with each other.

Thanks a lot for your help with this shantiq. Much appreciated.