Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Install libjack-jackd2

Beans

Question Can't Install libjack-jackd2

Trying to get ffmpeg installed on lucid with upgraded kernel 2.6.38. Synaptec complains about dependencies, which chase down to libjack-jackd2.

The error message is:
    Package libjack-jackd2-0 has no available version, but exists in the database.
    This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list
    How can I get ffmpeg installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't Install libjack-jackd2

I installed it for 10.10. Do an update and try again.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then try installing libjack-jackd2-0 by itself.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libjack-jackd2-0
    Last edited by spikoley; April 23rd, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klausner View Post
    Trying to get ffmpeg installed on lucid with upgraded kernel 2.6.38.
    As I said, lucid. It doesn't install!

Beans

Bump.

Beans

Are you sure this package is even available for Lucid? I don't see it using aptitude search, in Synaptic, nor in Ubuntu Packages Search. My apt output is different:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install libjack-jackd2-0
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package libjack-jackd2-0
    Are you using the wrong sources for Lucid or any PPAs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: Can't Install libjack-jackd2

Not sure if you're still into this, OP, but it's a prominent search result for a similar problem I'm working on (installing Neil Modular Tracker on Lucid), so here's a guess as to what's wrong, and how to fix it.

It appears that jackd2 wasn't added to Ubuntu until Maverick (the next release), so the sources for apt-get have no idea about it. We have at least two possible (and possibly insane) paths to try:

1) find a repository for the jackd2 stuff and add it to 'sources.list', update, blah blah blah

2) find the source, and unpack it locally, then build-n-install, blah blah blah

Have you tried either of these? If not, for a good reason, please post your reason so I may be disabused of my ignorance.

I'm about to investigate the viability of these options. I will try to post back with results regardless of success or failure.

Even if you're not still tracking this (or you've solved it and forgotten to follow-up), here's hoping it'll help someone.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm distracted by many, many things, and I may take a while to get back to this if there are complications along the way.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Can't Install libjack-jackd2

Okay, so I added this line to my 'sources.list'
    Code:
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main universe
    and then I did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    followed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and then I got distracted by something and didn't notice that a massive number of other Maverick packages had been selected, so I said 'go', and it installed them all (took a few mins), but nothing really unusual happened.

So, I may have all but upgraded to Maverick, but I'm not fussed if that's the case (as long as it doesn't screw over any automatic upgrade in the future).

Either way, the library (jackd2) is installed. This was my only outstanding dependency while attempting to install Neil (so far, anyway).

I'm not going to bother with idea 2, even though it was probably the more effective/tactical/precision method (what I did probably amounts to cluster bombing, but I'm over the whole "immaculate file system" thing I used to be into).

If you found another (most likely better) solution, I would definitely like to hear about it.
    Last edited by mysterious_beans; July 14th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Can't Install libjack-jackd2

Update:

After a few more distractions, and a few more thoughts, I'm going to upgrade to Maverick with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    because I have no compelling reason not to, and I want to make sure my kernel and libs match.

I will admit I'm not totally certain it would even be a problem, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mysterious_beans View Post
    Update:

After a few more distractions, and a few more thoughts, I'm going to upgrade to Maverick with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    because I have no compelling reason not to, and I want to make sure my kernel and libs match.
    If you're going the command-line upgrade route, you need to change all your repositories to maverick rather than just main, and you want to use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    From man apt-get:

Code:
           dist-upgrade
               dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
               also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
               of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
               it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
               expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
               command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
               contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
               files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
               the general settings for individual packages.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Cheers. It looks like Natty was available, so I upgraded straight to that.

No major problems, though there appear to have been a few small hitches, like for instance, my 'EDITOR' environment variable is no longer defined (I think it used to be). It seems to be small stuff like that mostly, so I'll just fix as I go.

I was mostly worried about something silly like a library trying to call a kernel function that doesn't exist until a newer version, on boot, and leaving me with a more or less inoperative system). As long as I have a half-working shell or better, I'm okay.

Oh yes, I found this helpful for inspecting the 'sources.list' contents for the various releases: http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/
    Last edited by mysterious_beans; July 17th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast