Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

I installed the latest version of BIOS P06AAH, but I don't think they fixed any of the Linux issues.

LID close is still not recognized, but when I open the LID it seems to get the LID close event and goes to sleep.

Beans

Hi all,

I am about to buy a notebook. It can be a Dell Vostro v131 or a Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A.

Both of them have problems with Ubuntu, but I would say that the Dell Vostro v131 seems to behave better, although I've seen more activity, help and resources in this Samsung Series 9 thread.

I've read the complete thread and still don't know if someone is having serious issues with Ubuntu 12.04.

What kind of problems are you having? Can anybody give me some feedback on that? I wonder how have you managed the multitouch touchpad to work, if possible at all.

Thank you very much.

Beans

Unfortunately just installing xf86-input-synaptics-1.6 did not fix my intermittent touchpad problems with 12.04.

Very frustrating. Much of the time it works fine, then occasionally it is impossible to control and even a full shutdown and reboot does not consistently solve the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJHarrison View Post
    Unfortunately just installing xf86-input-synaptics-1.6 did not fix my intermittent touchpad problems with 12.04.

Very frustrating. Much of the time it works fine, then occasionally it is impossible to control and even a full shutdown and reboot does not consistently solve the problem.
    What kernel version? I can confirm that kernel 3.4 + synaptics 1.6 has made click+drag work stable. It also isn't as easy to get the trackpad into insanity mode anymore and it seems to recover from it with a few clickpad clicks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lkraav View Post
    What kernel version? I can confirm that kernel 3.4 + synaptics 1.6 has made click+drag work stable. It also isn't as easy to get the trackpad into insanity mode anymore and it seems to recover from it with a few clickpad clicks.
    I was running the stock kernel with 12.04 but I upgraded yesterday to mainline 3.4 and can confirm your observation that the problem seems to be fixed with the combination of kernel and synaptics versions that you indicate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJHarrison View Post
    I was running the stock kernel with 12.04 but I upgraded yesterday to mainline 3.4 and can confirm your observation that the problem seems to be fixed with the combination of kernel and synaptics versions that you indicate.
    I forgot to add that the 3.3.7 kernel also seemed to work fine but suffered a large (multiple Watt) power regression relative to the stock kernel whereas the 3.4 kernel actually seemed a little more efficient ... according to powertop am routinely using only 6W with wifi on and screen brightness a little above lowest setting. This also using the settings here.

Beans

Hello,

I have a 90X3A-B04 (therefore I'm posting here...)

I had (almost) all my Fn keys working with the latest LTS - 12.04.
    I upgraded to 3.4.1 and all kept working. I performed the regular updates when suddenly all my Fn keys stopped working. Even the ones which used to work out of the box, like brightness up and down, does not work anymore.

I upgraded to kernel 3.4.2 - but no change. the Fn keys are not working...
    Please note that from 3.4.1 there is only quantal versions, not precise... in fact, the indications in upubuntu forum leads to install 3.4.0 quantal despite there is also a precise version. but as I said, from 3.4.1 only quantal is present.

Another phenomenon I noticed is that the keyboard language indicator is not present anymore at the window top.

More info (10 Jun - update 1)
    Booting into recovery mode, but continuing boot (the first option in recovery mode) fixes the issue.
    Booting normally disabling all Additional Drivers did not fixed the problem.

So it seems like a kind of incompatibility between loaded modules.
    What is the difference between recovery mode and normal boot modes?
    How can I detect boot up issues?

More info (10 Jun - update 2)
    I booted into unity 2D and all is working correctly.
    Any other user with same 3D issue?
    If I hit Displays in System Settings, it does not come up and System Settings window stays on forever. No way to shot it down... only by restart.
    It is obvious that there is something wrong with the graphic driver...
    I also noticed that the graphic card is not recognized.
    Solutions?

I'll keep updating with more investigation results.

Please help...
    Last edited by nahumrozen; June 11th, 2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

I've just installed Ubuntu 12; it was a direct install, not an upgrade.

So far, there are essentially no problems, and I don't see any issues mentioned in this thread. For reference, here are my impressions (I'm focusing on what has been posted as problematic):

- touchpad - works out of the box;
    - two-finger scrolling - - works out of the box (you have to enable it though; if not, you get edge scrolling by default);
    - two-finger tap is the equivalent of the right-click, just as people posted;
    - lid closure does put the laptop into sleep mode;
    - however, opening the lid doesn't wake it up automatically - you have to give a short push to the power button (anybody has a solution for this minor issue?);
    - added a couple of printers (HP and Canon), and both work just fine;
    - installed all programs I usually add, and all seem to work just fine: Alarm Clock, Chrome, GParted, various add-ons to Thunderbird, GNUCash, etc;
    - function keys: F2, F3, F9, F10, F11 and F12 work fine as well as PrtSc as well. The rest don't; that's usually the case with other laptops as well since other keys are defined by computer vendors (Samsung, in this case). It looks like some people managed to get many of the other keys to work as well. Can somebody post an update on this issue? Do Samsung tools somebody mentioned install well and behave nicely under Ubuntu 12?

All in all, it seems like a very smooth and nearly problem-free install.

Beans

Managing to operate the rest of he Fn keys is achieved from kernel 3.4.0. If you install it, please be careful! - install the precise version, not the quantal one.

In upubuntu forum the instructions will lead to quantal install. This will lead to many problems / instabilities. I do not recommend it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nahumrozen View Post
    Managing to operate the rest of he Fn keys is achieved from kernel 3.4.0. If you install it, please be careful! - install the precise version, not the quantal one.

In upubuntu forum the instructions will lead to quantal install. This will lead to many problems / instabilities. I do not recommend it.
    Many thanks, nahumrozen. It's tempting but I'll probably just wait until Ubuntu moves us to kernel 3.4 (hopefully, in not too distant future).

However, it would be good to find a fix for the wake-up bug. There is a simple one, probably.

...And I forgot to mention that I don't see any problems with Wi-Fi: I get 18M DL, 4M UL on Comcast.

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast