Thread: errors when trying to build/install pyodbc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

errors when trying to build/install pyodbc

Hello all,
    I just downloaded and extracted the latest version of pyodbc from it's github repo, and when I try to install it using:
    Code:
    python setup.py build install
    I get the following output:
    Code:
    dan@dan-netbook:/opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4$ python setup.py build install
    fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
    WARNING: git describe failed with: 32768 
    WARNING: Unable to determine version.  Using 3.1.0.0
    running build
    running build_ext
    building 'pyodbc' extension
    gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -DPYODBC_VERSION=3.1.0-unsupported -I/usr/include/python2.6 -c /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/pyodbcdbg.cpp -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.6/opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/pyodbcdbg.o -Wno-write-strings
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
    /usr/include/python2.6/datetime.h:186: warning: ‘PyDateTimeAPI’ defined but not used
    gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -DPYODBC_VERSION=3.1.0-unsupported -I/usr/include/python2.6 -c /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.6/opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.o -Wno-write-strings
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘Py_ssize_t’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘unsigned int’ to ‘const char*’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘void (*)(PyObject*)’ to ‘Py_ssize_t’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘long int’ to ‘PyBufferProcs*’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘long int’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: invalid conversion from ‘PyObject* (*)(PyObject*)’ to ‘Py_ssize_t’
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: cannot convert ‘PyMethodDef*’ to ‘PyObject* (*)(PyObject*)’ in initialization
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: cannot convert ‘PyMemberDef*’ to ‘PyMethodDef*’ in initialization
    /opt/lampp/htdocs/ap.py/tempdel/mkleehammer-pyodbc-3d7ddc4/src/cursor.cpp:2038: error: cannot convert ‘PyGetSetDef*’ to ‘PyMemberDef*’ in initialization
    error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
    Any idea what could be causing these errors?
    Thanks in advance...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: errors when trying to build/install pyodbc

What python are you using?

pyodbc says this.
    A Python 3.x port has been checked in and will be released soon!

Your error says this:
    Unable to determine version. Using 3.1.0.0
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

2.6.5 hmmm...

I assumed that was referring to the version of the module. I'll see if I can find how to specify my version of python...

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It should default to 2.6 then unless you specify otherwise. Is the 3.1.0.0 then the module?

Or did they just check in the new version for python 3 and you happend to get it?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.