Thread: NEW Meerkat - Does not yet work with FREEP.COM

Beans

NEW Meerkat - Does not yet work with FREEP.COM

Hi,
    I am setting up a Meerkat for my father-in-law and I am trying to get Firefox to work with FREEP.COM. This is the Detroit Free press Digital Media edition.

When I start the web site, the screen never fully loads the content and it does not display the content correctly.

I do not know where to start. This is a brand new install of UBUNTU 10.10 with all of the latest updates.

Can anyone give me any guidance here.

Thanks
    Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: NEW Meerkat - Does not yet work with FREEP.COM

Quote Originally Posted by paddydd View Post
    Hi,
    I am setting up a Meerkat for my father-in-law and I am trying to get Firefox to work with FREEP.COM. This is the Detroit Free press Digital Media edition.

When I start the web site, the screen never fully loads the content and it does not display the content correctly.

I do not know where to start. This is a brand new install of UBUNTU 10.10 with all of the latest updates.

Can anyone give me any guidance here.

Thanks
    Paddy
    I can't tell if I'm loading all the content here, so I'll post an image.

I'm running FFox 4 on 10.10. The main Ubuntu repositories don't have 4 yet, the latest update it has is 3.6.2, I believe, so you have to add the FFox repository manually:

http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/instal...in-ubuntu.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ranko Kohime; April 21st, 2011 at 11:56 PM.

Beans

HI,
    I downloaded 4.0 - thanks for the info.

I can see text information but I cannot see any graphics. So I can click on the tab that says contents and then see the contents of the article in a pure text layout but I cannot see the nice graphical picture of the paper.

Is this a flash issue?

Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

HI,
    I downloaded 4.0 - thanks for the info.

I can see text information but I cannot see any graphics. So I can click on the tab that says contents and then see the contents of the article in a pure text layout but I cannot see the nice graphical picture of the paper.

Is this a flash issue?

Paddy
    Turning Flash off (which in 4.0 can be done without a browser restart ), results in the same page, so I don't think the images are Flash-based.

Check the error console: Tools -> Error Console. Clear it, then reload freep.com. I'm dropping a bunch of styles-related errors, but nothing image related.

Also, I'm assuming the browser loads images from other sites, but not freep.com? freep.com may have gotten added as an exception to loaded images, check the prefs: Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Load Images -> Exceptions

Beans

Hi,
    Thanks for the information... I did check the error log and I see errors
    from css for filters, fonts, something called GEL, font-size, and moz-opacity. I don't think they relate to my latest issue.

I can see the freep but it behaves different from the windows version. In particular, when I click on an object, some of it's controls are not active -- in particular the printing. Do you have any idea why this would be different on UBUNTU vs windows?

thanks

Paddy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In particular, when I click on an object, some of it's controls are not active -- in particular the printing. Do you have any idea why this would be different on UBUNTU vs windows?
    Assuming a printer is setup in Ubuntu? (I'm not sure if Ubuntu or FFox would grey out printing options in the absence of a printer)

I'm getting a little baffled here, actually. What other controls (if any) are greyed?