Thread: vertical purple line on far left of screen

Beans

Post vertical purple line on far left of screen

I am new to linux and ubuntu. straight from windows 7. I had no problems with my graphics card and my tv is working fine. I am using a hdmi lead to the tv but there is this annoying purple line running vertically down my screen on the far left. It still shows up even If i fullscreen a video. please help because I never had this problem with windows 7 Cheers Mark.

Beans

Post Re: vertical purple line on far left of screen

Hello,

Yes, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, and have a second monitor connected VIA HDMI. If I start up the PC from a cold boot, I never have any problems. BUT if I allow the system to go into standby, when I take it out of standby I always end up with a purple line at the far left of my second monitor - regardless of what I do. I hadn't run linux with a second screen in a long time, but recently just bought the second screen and when I noticed it the first time I thought there was a problem with the monitor. That night I turned the computer off completely. The next day when I turned it on, the purple line was gone.

I'm sure there's an issue with the HDMI when coming out of standby or at least something with my laptop.

Then again, I bought my laptop back in 2008 - at that time HDMI wasn't too popular in laptops, but I've had it - so who knows if that's the issue.

Here's what I'm running currently:
    Inspiron 1525
    Memory: 4 GB of RAM
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 @2.00Ghz x 2
    Graphics: Intel 965GM
    OS Type: 64bit
    OS Version: Ubuntu 11.10
    Currently running

Beans

Re: vertical purple line on far left of screen

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I have the same problem. It only happens in Ubuntu. In Windows 7 it doesn't show up. It's just like the OP described: a two pixels wide purple column on the very left edge of the screen.
    I wonder if there is a fix for that. It must be software related since it doesn't happen in Windows 7.

Edit: Just noticed this problem is not new. You guys posted in 2011, then in 2012 and then here I am in 2013.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: vertical purple line on far left of screen

Please start a new thread.