Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity - I love it, so far.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

>Doesn't that mean in reverse that you can't use any OS at all?<

this is exactly the point

so far many people came to use linux just because they feld here more comfortable.
    Now the open source comunity starts to make all the same mistakes and definitely wrong things as the 'competitors'.
    Why all nonsense, but money making ideas created by competitors have to be picked up and implemented , this is the major question.

And why are people forced to have the logging/surveillance software on their computers just to be able to start some innocent apps? User are not allowed to use the unity gui unless they keep the logging software operational. What has the simple gui to do with the data logging function?
    Last edited by ottosykora; April 25th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    Why all nonsense, but money making ideas created by competitors have to be picked up and implemented , this is the major question.
    Because of the same reason complex "desktop search" tools are being developed; because the majority of users are either lazy or unable to track their used apps/docs, and they are asking for them.

For example, one feature I took note of is that the most often used apps are listed prior to the less used ones in the launcher, apparently (I didn't use Unity myself so far). For this feature, that you may well know from the Windows start menu, Zeitgeist is needed. And that is only one example, I really don't know what else features are needing Zeitgeist.
    Last edited by Krytarik; April 25th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

in fact I have not met someone who was asking for such search system, it is rather the other way around, we have no choice as to accept them, we get them packed as 'feature' .
    MS started to distribute such things very long time ago, I have so far not met any windows machine since w98 having this feature enabled. Neither private nor at work.

If you think abt the power of the feature noting down how much you use what, this is then same as google is trying, but at the os level.
    Nice example is when unity is telling you not only what you use, but what you still do not use and suggests you what you might (or should?) use.
    Imagine what power this has. Anything can be placed there, sooner or later most users will click on that... what ever it will be.
    In browsers, lot of people are trying to produce addons to filter the associative advertising of google on websites , here you have it directly in the desktop gui and can not do much about it except to change the os... which is not possible since the next one has even more of that rubbish.

Beans
    Distro

Nice example is when unity is telling you not only what you use, but what you still do not use and suggests you what you might (or should?) use.
    Imagine what power this has. Anything can be placed there, sooner or later most users will click on that... what ever it will be.
    Is that the case? I really don't know, since, like I said, I didn't use Unity so far.

Even if it is, anything that might be "offered" there is installed at your system, because it's just a re-ordering of menu items. So, if you install malware at your system, it's your own fault.
    Last edited by Krytarik; April 26th, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Hey! You're not allowed to like Unity! Haven't you heard it's completely clumsy and unusable! (Sarcasm).

Glad you like it. I'm pretty much on the same page except for your comments on Compiz.

Beans

what I just get known: unity and gmome3 uses zeitgeist framework. This is real security and privacy problem.
    There is no way one can do without however if continuing with ubuntu.
    This will probably mean finish with ubuntu on all my computers.

It looks as all world is moving towards some systems where all is known , registered and stored and as an excuse enhanced 'features' for the user are given.
    Then all is at the same level as the other big players in OS market.
    Zeitgeist isn't spying on you, it's there to improve the user experience
    and if you don't like it you will be able to determine what it logs.
    Privacy settings are coming to Zeitgeist
    Last edited by stinkeye; April 26th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

>Even if it is, anything that might be "offered" there is installed at your system, because it's just a re-ordering of menu items. So, if you install malware at your system, it's your own fault.<

mistake, this is offering *not* installed apps, it will offer them again and again, each time you want start some software you have already installed, you will get a list of 'suggestions' of software you still dont have on your computer and big brother thinks you should have them. If you install them , next list of further software will be placed in front of you any time you want open any other app.
    It is just bunch of icons and you are all the time invited to install them. It is like on some of those very bad websites telling you that if you want speed up your computer, you should click here...
    Last edited by ottosykora; April 26th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

>Zeitgeist isn't spying on you, it's there to improve the user experience
    and if you don't like it you will be able to determine what it logs.<

the fact that it is collecting anything without any substantial reason is spying. As it can not be switched off, well it can , but then the whole gui is useless too, is the real problem. Temporary, we can use 'classic', but how many months? Soon there will be so 'urgent security update' which will wipe all useful things away and install adware/spyware and we are back to 'big competitors'.

'to improve user experience' , well I have read that somewhere as statement from 'some kind of fruit company'(Forest Gump), so the loop is closed again

It looks like its time to plan a move away from linux, or simply tra to keep some old versions going until the hardware dies or so. Will try go back to xubuntu first probably hoping there will be some basic gui available slightly longer and if not , well there is no point then investing time in complex installation of linux system when computers come with similar operating system preinstalled already.
    Last edited by ottosykora; April 26th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

mistake, this is offering *not* installed apps, it will offer them again and again, each time you want start some software you have already installed, you will get a list of 'suggestions' of software you still dont have on your computer and big brother thinks you should have them. If you install them , next list of further software will be placed in front of you any time you want open any other app.
    It is just bunch of icons and you are all the time invited to install them. It is like on some of those very bad websites telling you that if you want speed up your computer, you should click here...
    So, are you saying that it is really the case?
    Or is it just hypothetical nonsense?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    So, are you saying that it is really the case?
    Or is it just hypothetical nonsense?
    This is really the case, you can not open any app without this kind of advertising being presented

Opening an application will in any case lead to a black screen, full of icons of apps you have already installed so you can click on an icon and the app will start, and bellow 'suggested' apps you should (according to whom ever) install.

I call that unwanted advertising, well if google is allowed to do so, why not everybody?
    Last edited by ottosykora; April 30th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast