Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usb hard drive not mounting

Beans

Re: usb hard drive not mounting

Ill try to give some more precise directions of what worked for me because I had a hard time figuring it out myself. It would be great if somebody would try this to see if it is a reproducible workaround.

In mountmanager select USB Wizard in the tools menu.
    Introduction
    Just press Next.
    Choose Device to Configure
    I left "Device is not Connected" selected (this was the only option available even though my drive was connected) and hit next.
    Device Definition
    Here I did a lot of guessing after reading the information about each field. Non of it is very clear, I expect many of these fields should need inputs specific to your usb drive if the inputs are required at all.
    Device Name: I put "sdb2"
    Vendor: I suspect this is an unnecessary field I put in "Western Digital" for the manufacturer of my drive.
    Model: Again this may be unnecessary but I put in my drives model number. "WD10000S1H-00"
    Subsystem: The information discusses two options here I put in "block"
    Bus: "usb" as they say in the information.
    Then press Next
    Configure Device Mount Point

I set my mount point to "/media/testusb" I believe any location you specify would be fine.
    Configure Auto Mounting Options
    I set the filesystem to ext3 because there was no ext4 option then clicked next
    Access Options
    I just clicked next through this leaving the defaults
    Results
    I just clicked finish to get through this.

Finally I unplugged my usb drive then plugged it back in, ubuntu automounted it to the unity launcher and I was able to delete the mount point I had added through mountmanager and remove the application entirely from my system.

Beans

Zorkerz, thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I followed your instructions and tried many times, but I still failed to mount my hard drive.

I needed to take out the data, so I used a live usb with Lucid, and it mounted with no problem. So even if I cannot use the usb hard drive immediately, I at least have the data out.

I have been researching a little more and it seems some people have reported similar problems on previous versions of Ubuntu. So I still do not know what the problem really. It seems people have mixed results when it comes to fixing this problem.

Anyway, thank you again.

Beans

Did the mountmanager solution work for you? I'm experiencing the same problem with my HTC Desire

Beans

Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

Nothing previously mentioned in this thread worked for me. After much searching I ended up here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/fix-u...t-working.html

That says that you need to disable the "Legacy Floppy" option in the BIOS of your PC. I have an Intel D510MO and in my BIOS the option was called "USB Legacy" not "Legacy Floppy". It was found in Advanced->USB (something like that). I've plugged in 3 different flash devices now and have had no problems.

I hope this helps someone else as well... and I hope it keeps working for me.

Beans

Thank you very much mcgavinz26 !

I had some time, so I tried immediately, and it worked!, finally. Up until today the usb hdd was just collecting dust in some corner of the room.

I can use again. I hope it works for everyone.=D>

Beans

Still working for me after a lot of rebooting. Still can't believe I helped someone with linux stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mcgavinz26 View Post
    Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

Nothing previously mentioned in this thread worked for me. After much searching I ended up here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/fix-u...t-working.html

That says that you need to disable the "Legacy Floppy" option in the BIOS of your PC. I have an Intel D510MO and in my BIOS the option was called "USB Legacy" not "Legacy Floppy". It was found in Advanced->USB (something like that). I've plugged in 3 different flash devices now and have had no problems.

I hope this helps someone else as well... and I hope it keeps working for me.
    Yay! Finally a solution - I've had the same problem as OP (same dmesg messages, seen is lsusb but can't mount) and nothing seemed to work - reformatting the disk on a PC, mountmanager... until this! Strangely USB disks used to work fine, don't know why this would have changed

Beans

thank you. using mount manager fixed my problem and i can now access my backup files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12