Thread: Need help installing gnome-ppp

Beans

Need help installing gnome-ppp

After reading numerous instructions, I am still unable to install gnome-ppp. I downloaded the zip file to my usb stick, copied it to my home file and extracted it. There are now a whole bunch files under a new directory named gnome-ppp 0.3.23. From here I am lost. I opened a readme file called install instructions, which did't work and got rather complicated quickly. I could use some real basic, step-by step instructions. Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Need help installing gnome-ppp

Why don't you just install it using Synaptic Package Manager?
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans

I have tried the synaptic package manager (SPM), but do not know how get it to look at (let alone install) the gnome-ppp package that I downloaded to my usb stick. How do I get this package on the SPM radar screen so that I can install it. I am totally lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Synaptic, Settings-Repositories, other software tab-add, web address of package.

Or
    Adding a PPA to your Ubuntu system
    In Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) and subsequent versions
    If you're using the most recent version of Ubuntu, or any that has been released since Ubuntu 9.10, adding a PPA is really simple.

Step 1: Visit the PPA's overview page in Launchpad and look for the heading that reads Adding this PPA to your system. Make a note of the PPA's location, which looks like:

ppa:gwibber-daily/ppa
    Step 2: Open a terminal and enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:user/ppa-name

Adding the repository
    Replace ppa:user/ppa-name with the PPA's location that you noted above.

Your system will now fetch the PPA's key. This enables your Ubuntu system to verify that the packages in the PPA have not been interfered with since they were built.

Ubuntu adding the repository and its key
    Important: This is not an endorsement of any of the software in PPAs. You must make sure you trust the PPA owner before installing their software.

Step 3: Now, as a one-off, you should tell your system to pull down the latest list of software from each archive it knows about, including the PPA you just added:

sudo apt-get update
    Now you're ready to start installing software from the PPA! If you already have the software installed and you're adding the PPA to get a more recent/different version, you may just need to run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Synaptic Package Manager

It was suggested that I use the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) to install a package that I downloaded to my usb stick. The package is gnome-ppp, which I need to connect my serial hardware modem to the Internet. As it is I cannot update my installation nor download packages with the SPM until I get connected, which is somewhat like a Catch-22. Can someone give me instructions on how to install the package that is on my usb stick using the SPM? Here is where it stands:

I have the zipped file on my usb stick .
    It has also been copied to my home folder
    It was also extracted to my home folder.

I do not know how to get SPM to see it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Synaptic Package Manager

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i gnome-ppp*deb
    But, I see gnome-ppp has many dependencies, so the above command won't work.

Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.29.3), libc6 (>= 2.7), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4),
    libfontconfig1 (>= 2.8.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1),
    libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.21.6), libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.6.1),
    libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libpango1.0-0 (>=
    1.14.0), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27),
    wvdial

Edit: You might want to look at this software for installing packages without an internet connection: http://keryxproject.org/
    Last edited by oldos2er; April 20th, 2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Try to avoid downloading stuff from here and there on the web. The Ubuntu repositories are the way to go.

There is no need for using a personal package archive in this case. Just search in Synaptic for gnome-ppp and mark for installation.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by TCMGO View Post
    After reading numerous instructions, I am still unable to install gnome-ppp. I downloaded the zip file to my usb stick, copied it to my home file and extracted it. There are now a whole bunch files under a new directory named gnome-ppp 0.3.23. From here I am lost. I opened a readme file called install instructions, which did't work and got rather complicated quickly. I could use some real basic, step-by step instructions. Thank you
    You may have download the source code. If you want to install it then you have to use
    Code:
    ./configure 
    make
    sudo make install
    in terminal.

If you have *.deb file in the extracted folder then goto synaptic=>File=>Add Download Packages.
    Love Open Source. Ubuntu Rocks.
    Computing in Native Language for Life time.
    FOSS Bangladesh.
    2048R/89C932E1