Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusing mount issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Confusing mount issue

The alternative to adding mount options to /etc/fstab is to chmod the root of the filesystem. If you mount the filesystem and chmod the mountpoint, you don't in fact change permissions of the mountpoint, but of the root of the filesystem itself. This isn't widely understood. So for really permissive permissions, you could:

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /media/sda3
    sudo chmod 777 /media/sdb1
    sudo chmod 777 /media/sdc2
    If you then unmount the partitions and do a 'ls -l /media' you'll see that the permissions of /media/sda3 and so on haven't changed; the chmod acted on the filesystem itself. Which means that the changed permissions will "stick" if you choose a different mountpoint. Since...

Quote Originally Posted by breem42
    Labels like sda3 are kind of sucky but acceptable.
    Agreed. Which is why I guessed you would want to choose your own.

You can also apply chown to the root of the filesystem in the same way with:

Code:
    sudo chown yourusername: /media/sda3
    ... and so on. That is not a recursive chown - neither is the chmod above - so files and folders already in existence are not affected.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

But... aside from the labels I'm using, my changes ti fstab are OK?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Tbh, I'm not sure but if they are working for you then they are OK. I find the simple "defaults" option and then a bit of judicious chowning and chmodding of my ext3/4 data partition to suit my needs.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks much coffeecat. I think I'll mess around with it a bit more, but essentially the problem is solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12