Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: ATI Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10?

Quote Originally Posted by marin123 View Post
    @coffecat, he was asking about ubuntu 10.10 so we know what os he has or will have..
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    installed OS
    The OP was talking about an upgrade in their previous post. It wasn't clear whether they already had an installed earlier version of Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yeah, i put it in my computer and all, i'm not sure if it's working. it's detected by my system, but doesn't really give me any benefit from when i was using integrated graphics, and when tested on things like youtube, there's not much of a change.

When i type in glxgears in the terminal, i get "segmentation fault". when i type in "glxinfo | grep rendering" and press enter, it just takes me to the next line and doesn't do anything. finally, when i type in "lspci | grep VGA", i get "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]", which is the name of my graphics card, and yeah, it's a recognized and, under "additional drivers", it says it's been tested by ubuntu devlopers and all.
    Last edited by TheCadaver; April 20th, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by TheCadaver View Post
    Yeah, i put it in my computer and all, i'm not sure if it's working. it's detected by my system, but doesn't really give me any benefit from when i was using integrated graphics, and when tested on things like youtube, there's not much of a change.

When i type in glxgears in the terminal, i get "segmentation fault". when i type in "glxinfo | grep rendering" and press enter, it just takes me to the next line and doesn't do anything. finally, when i type in "lspci | grep VGA", i get "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]", which is the name of my graphics card, and yeah, it's a recognized and, under "additional drivers", it says it's been tested by ubuntu devlopers and all.
    you can install drivers from Additional drivers menu, but on ati's website are newer... i didnt see any difference from the two.
    if you install those drivers you will see improved graphics performance..

Beans

Can you post /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

and about drivers for your graphics: you will have a working ubuntu without proprietary drivers but if you need 3d acceleration you will have to install proprietary drivers.
    False. Open-source drivers are 3D-accelerated as well.
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro

you can install drivers from Additional drivers menu, but on ati's website are newer... i didnt see any difference from the two.
    if you install those drivers you will see improved graphics performance..
    Alright, I did that, but when I click on it, it says I need to open it using an application. Now what? Sorry, I've been an ubuntu user for 4 years, but I'm kind of a noob at it.

Also, on the additional drivers screen, it says my graphics card is proprietary.
    Last edited by TheCadaver; April 20th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

I followed the link above and while reading found this section than warns me about the drivers to be installed from the driver page as they offer the catalyst 9-3 Driver which doesn't support maverick? I've already installed from their driver page, though. I can't tell if the warning is for the drivers listed above it, or for the driver list overall.

The warning:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx
    Last edited by TheCadaver; April 20th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

if you mean how to install ati driver, you need to make it executable (right-click -> Properties -> Permissions -> Allow to execute) and double-click and choose Run.

if its not compatible with maverick, it wont install (it detects kernel version).

@Temujin: i didnt know that open source drivers have 3d, but i couldnt play Hive Rise with open source drivers, i had to install fglrx...

Beans
    Distro

if you mean how to install ati driver, you need to make it executable (right-click -> Properties -> Permissions -> Allow to execute) and double-click and choose Run.

if its not compatible with maverick, it wont install (it detects kernel version).

@Temujin: i didnt know that open source drivers have 3d, but i couldnt play Hive Rise with open source drivers, i had to install fglrx...
    Right click what, on where? there's nothing i can right click on the additional drivers screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheCadaver View Post
    I followed the link above and while reading found this section than warns me about the drivers to be installed from the driver page as they offer the catalyst 9-3 Driver...
    Since your card is not on that list, the big red warning does not apply to you... More specifically, start here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...ivers_manually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast