Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sony Vaio s series Ubuntu compatibility

Beans

New Sony Vaio s series Ubuntu compatibility

I am currently in the market for a new laptop and I would like to continue to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. The new Sony Vaio s series is what I plan to get (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644768015). I've been reading that people have had problems with Ubuntu on Vaio machines, thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Sony Vaio s series Ubuntu compatibility

It's hard to know whether to get a machine when it's not Ubuntu-certified.

Here is what I suggest.

1. Make a Live CD on a USB stick. Use System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator. Use a USB stick with at least 2Gb, preferably more, and reserve 1Gb or more "Stored in reserved extra space". By the way, I'd suggest you use the 64-bit version, but that is your choice.
    2. Boot from the Live CD, and install any programs you need in order to check the machine, for example Cheese (to test the webcam), Skype, and whatever. You might want to include non-free-extras.
    3. Now go to the shop and take your USB with you. Ask the salesperson permission to boot the machine with your USB (let him know that you will not change anything on the hard drive) so that you can check whether it's Ubuntu-compatible. Play around and check that Ubuntu recognises the wireless, can use the screen at full resolution, etc.

I've done just that when helping someone look for an Ubuntu-compatible computer. The salesperson was like, "Wow, Linux looks really nice!"
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

That's a really good idea, but the stores near me do not carry this computer (you have to order it and pick it up).

Beans

I would get detailed specs - cpu, their motherboard type, video processor, wireless adapter, audio processor, etc., then do a net search on the model and the specific piece of hardware - as an example ubuntu 10.10 vaio (your model here) video. You can also replace ubuntu in the search string with the word linux and see the problems from others in other versions of linux. Do similar searches on this forum. If you find reference to a problem, post back here and we can see if there is a work around. The whole idea is to identify what might be problem areas and their solutions prior to installing ubuntu so that you don't run into problems you are not prepared for. I'm no expert, but there are plenty of people here to help you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wep940 View Post
    I would get detailed specs - cpu, their motherboard type, video processor, wireless adapter, audio processor, etc., then do a net search on the model and the specific piece of hardware - as an example ubuntu 10.10 vaio (your model here) video. You can also replace ubuntu in the search string with the word linux and see the problems from others in other versions of linux.
    I tried searching for the model but I didn't find anything useful as far as I can see (the computer came out last month, maybe that's why).

One potential problem I did see was the video. The computer has a switch that toggles the graphics between speed and stamina, with the stamina being integrated graphics (Intel® HM65 Express Chipset) and the speed being the AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M GPU (512MB VRAM) with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD. Is this technology supported in any way by Ubuntu?

Beans

I wish I could tell you an answer, but I don't know anything about that kind of video switching. I also don't know if those adapters are supported well in ubuntu or not. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me (that's not hard!) will be able to help you further.

Good luck!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't know if this helps any, I'm reading this while at work but, I have 2 Sony Vaio's and Ubuntu works well on them both with version 10.10. Both dual boot with Win7 Home Premium. I put Ubuntu 10.10 on a USB Stick first and ran from the stick before trying complete install. My Vaio's are 1 and 2 years old and not the "S" Series, I guess, since the "S" Series is new. I don't see where you can go wrong if you do the USB Stick first to see if all will work.

Beans

Don't buy anything with switchable graphics. I have a Z series and it doesn't work. Only the Nvidia chip works and if I changed to Intel X would have a heart attack. I'd get a basic laptop built to order or choose one with an older AMD CPU and GPU (before Fusion).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K_45 View Post
    Don't buy anything with switchable graphics. I have a Z series and it doesn't work. Only the Nvidia chip works and if I changed to Intel X would have a heart attack. I'd get a basic laptop built to order or choose one with an older AMD CPU and GPU (before Fusion).
    What if I just leave it in stamina mode (integrated Intel graphics) and don't switch it to the AMD Radeon? I don't really play games so I wouldn't need it anyway. Also, maybe there's better support for these Intel chips in Ubuntu 11.04? Just a thought.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drum19258 View Post
    What if I just leave it in stamina mode (integrated Intel graphics) and don't switch it to the AMD Radeon? I don't really play games so I wouldn't need it anyway. Also, maybe there's better support for these Intel chips in Ubuntu 11.04? Just a thought.
    That should work. Just don't flip the switch by accident.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast