Thread: How to have kernel privileges

Hybrid View

Beans

Arrow How to have kernel privileges

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to run an executable (a Assembly Language program that has been assembled and linked) booting from USB.

The idea is so I can write an assembly program that after booting from USB has kernel privileges and can write to screen ram and read ports.

On boot you would change the bios setting to boot from USB, but instead of installing an Operating System, it would place the executable in memory and then pass control to your executable.

I understand why protected mode exists but I would like to do some simple graphics without spending my life trying to understand the bios and Linux.

I imagine anyone who has written a USB .iso creator could do something like this quite simply.

Even if I somehow managed to wipe the hard disk and all my creative or personal stuff was on line (in the Clouds...), I'd only need to take my USB stick around the corner and use such a program to load a new copy of Mint at the internet cafe.

The idea of writing simple Assembly programs takes me back to computing as it was in the beginning when in either BASIC or Assembly you could store whatever you wanted, or peek and poke.

You cannot do anything like that today on any modern self-protecting computer.

Has anyone got any ideas or know someone that might be able to create such a program?

Regards,
    Richard Lindley
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; April 16th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How to have kernel privileges

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.