2. Go to system/library/lockdown/checkpoint.xml
    3. Edit the file so that the value dbversion is 4
    4. Go to var/mobile/media an delete the itunes control folder
    5. Reboot the device
    6. Connect to itunes(you need a windows comp or mac) and add
    a song to initialize your device

Now prepare your computer:

Open up synaptic (system->synaptic pacage manager
    2. Go to the Repositories (Under Settings)
    3. Add this source:
    ppa:pmcenery/ppa
    4. Close and click reload
    5. Search for libimobiledevice1 and install both
    6. Now close synaptic open terminal and type:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You can now connect your device to your Computer and sync with rhythmbox or banshee

note: tested with ubuntu 10.10 maverick
    Last edited by sudsiv; April 16th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Beans

Re: How to sync music iPhone 4 and ipod touch 4g (ios 4.2.1

Thanks alot man, Finally got my iphone 4 to sync using banshee thanks to your instructions .

Confirmed to be working on iPhone4 4.2.1 and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Amazing, it works! The only problem I ran into was after the music was on there, all the apps that were added after-market would not stay open, this was easily fixed by deleting an app (pandora) and reinstalling it through the app store. After that, everything worked perfectly!

Thanks!!!
    Anything worth having is never free, except Ubuntu

Beans

There's still something I dont get... when I plug the ipod to itunes in Windows it asks me to configure the ipod before adding any song, wich creates again the iTunes control folder.... how can I avoid that??
    Last edited by jandresfg; July 13th, 2011 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jandresfg View Post
    There's still something I dont get... when I plug the ipod to itunes in Windows it asks me to configure the ipod before adding any song, wich creates again the iTunes control folder.... how can I avoid that??

All I did was plug in my iphone to and synced a song. Once I did that I was able to use Banshee to add the other songs. If itunes is telling you to create a new profile for your phone, either cancel it if you can or just follow through the process and contiue with Banshee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deltacomp View Post
    All I did was plug in my iphone to and synced a song. Once I did that I was able to use Banshee to add the other songs. If itunes is telling you to create a new profile for your phone, either cancel it if you can or just follow through the process and contiue with Banshee.
    itunes doesn't let me sync any song without configuring it, and there's not any cancel option either. After creating the profile (I've tryed both as a new ipod or setting the last backup) the iTunes Control folder is created again.... I'm stucked :/
    Last edited by jandresfg; July 13th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Beans

I'm new to iPod (have a Touch 4G).

Is it a Must to jailbreakit to allown music sync in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Hello, yes you must jailbrake your phone. Once iTunes has started to sync your phone just let it finish. When it's done add a song to your iPhone then go back into Banshee and you will be able to add/sync songs. If you still can't get it to work I'll try to be more specific when I have more time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, I'm bumping this.

Currently, I have Ubuntu 11.04, with all the latest updates. I have Banshee 2.0 installed. I have an iphone 4G, with iOS 4 (the one just before 5).

Now, banshee can see my iphone, and when I created a playlist and dropped it on the iphone, it went through all the motions. And when I check my iphone, the disk usage drops the same amount (that is, I put 1G of music up, and iphone now shows 1G additional disk usage. But the ipod player doesn't recognize that any music has been loaded!

Do I have to do the jailbreak thing for this as well? I really want to be as lazy as possible in setting this up. (Eg, if it's easier to just export everything from banshee to rhythmbox and go from there, then say so and I'll do that.) Or did I overlook something simple? If 11.10 fixes this issue, I can upgrade (I plan to do so in the next month or so anyway).

Meh. Was going to try syncing from sugarsync since iphone doens't deal with Amazon cloud, only to find that sugarsync doesn't have a robust app to work with Linux *headdesk*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by digitalramble View Post
    Currently, I have Ubuntu 11.04, with all the latest updates. I have Banshee 2.0 installed. I have an iphone 4G, with iOS 4 (the one just before 5).

Now, banshee can see my iphone, and when I created a playlist and dropped it on the iphone, it went through all the motions. And when I check my iphone, the disk usage drops the same amount (that is, I put 1G of music up, and iphone now shows 1G additional disk usage. But the ipod player doesn't recognize that any music has been loaded!
    I think I'm experiencing the same problem as digitalramble. In the past, I could add music to my iPhone via Banshee, but now after I add music to my device through Banshee it disappears after I open up the iPod app on my iPhone.

I assume that the latest Apple OS update is at fault for this problem, as I only started experiencing this issue after I updated my iPhone.

System/Device Details
    - iPhone 3GS - Version 5.0.1
    - Ubuntu 11.04 64bit
    - Banshee 2.3.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast