Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Beans

Re: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Quote Originally Posted by mstratman View Post
    I spent a little time trying to debug it, to no avail though. I'll have to sit down and really figure out how these various drag routines are supposed to work (so far, all I've figured out is trigger_drag_ready() only gets called when i double tap).
    That's expected and is used by the tap-and-drag functionality. It doesn't have anything to do with click and drag.

Quote Originally Posted by mstratman View Post
    Could the fact that I'm only implementing the bare-bones MT protocol be the issue?
    i.e. I'm only reporting ABS_MT_POSITION_[X|Y] and ABS_MT_PRESSURE. No widths, or any of the other options.
    I'm wondering if that might be preventing the Xorg driver from properly detecting a thumb click, or any other checks it might be doing.
    Without widths, etc, thumb and palm detection shouldn't even be operable. While I'd like to say that not implementing those features should have no effect, I don't have a pressure based multitouch device to test against. It may be that the default values, and even some of the logic, needs to be adjusted for such devices. Hit me up with a PM and we can talk further. I'd like to get this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by scoddy View Post
    Tapping is much better than with multitouch, thanks for all the efforts!
    You're welcome!

As mentioned by Helios747 I can confirm that (snip) does not work for me either.
    Glad you were able to confirm this. I'm going to take a more indepth look at the code tonight and see if I can't figure out what's causing it. Hopefully I'll have progress to report in an hour or a few.

Another thing came up with the bcm5794 I'm using:

Code:
    Xorg.log
    (EE) mtrack: cannot configure device
    (EE) Couldn't init device "bcm5974"
    It seems that the xorg.conf.d evdev-hooks try to initialize the device twice, as touchpad and mouse - however it's working though.
    Happens for me as well. Some adjustment to the xorg.conf config would prevent this, but it works just fine either way.

A little odd is the touch behavior, which seems to be correct with the multitouch driver, but not in mtrack: I'm scrolling with my right hand pointer finger, leave it on the touchpad whilst the mouse pointer is over the button I wanna click (e.g. firefox). Now clicking with the left hand pointing finger results in a two finger tap (right click). Any way to get rid of this behavior or is it related to the TapButton Option?
    Based on how I read this, this is what you're doing:

1) You successfully execute two finger scrolling.
    2) You lift one finger from the trackpad, leaving exactly one finger touching.
    3) With a single finger you click the physical button on the trackpad.
    4) This causes a right click.

If I am correct and did not misread, then yes, it's working as I built it. That doesn't mean it should work that way, though. I definitely see your point, and agree with it, so I'll call it a bug. It is likely I will fix this by only counting fingers which have touched down inside a certain timeframe. So scrolling or moving fingers won't cause this.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzboy View Post
    Any work towards this working for Lucid?
    I don't have a package for Lucid, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Try compiling it yourself if your're up for it.

I don't have a build environment set up for Lucid yet, it's on my "to do" list.
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans

The issues and milestones on Github are now updated. If you're interested in seeing what's to come in the next feature version check out the open milestones.

Beans

I've got a bugfix in place for the no movement problem when disabling tapping. It's in master on github.

I'm going to get the clicking issue fixed up before rolling out a new release with these fixes in it.

Beans

Good news, nobody! Version 0.1.1 is here!

Changelog for v0.1.1
    • Bugfix release.
    • Disabling tapping no longer (wrongly) disables pointer movement.
    • Button emulation set to ignore "old" touches. What consitutes an old touch can be adjusted with the ButtonTouchExpire option.

All bug fixes have also been (and will continue to be) merged into the dev branch.

Beans

I'm looking for people to post up their configs they're using. I want to work a set of reasonable defaults based on what everyone is using now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    I'm looking for people to post up their configs they're using. I want to work a set of reasonable defaults based on what everyone is using now.
    Thanks for your great progress. I am fairly happy with (haven't tested sensitivity extensively yet) on my MacBook Air 3,2.

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Identifier      "Touchpads"
        Driver          "mtrack"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option          "Sensitivity" "0.75"
        Option          "ClickTime" "50"
        Option          "IgnoreThumb" "False"
        Option          "IgnorePalm" "False"
        Option          "TapDragEnable" "False"
        Option          "ScrollDistance" "150"
        Option          "TapButton1" "0"
        Option          "TapButton2" "0"
        Option          "TapButton3" "0"
    EndSection
    In my .xbindkeysrc I have this to enable pinch to zoom in Dolphin, Okular, Firefox and other programs

Code:
    "xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\C\[plus]""
      b:12

"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\C\[minus]""
      b:13

Beans

Macbook Pro 6,1 Ubuntu 11.04 Natty
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Identifier "Touchpads"
            Driver "mtrack"
        Option "PalmSize" "45"
        Option "IgnoreThumb" "0"
        Option "ClickTime" "25"
        Option "ScrollDistance" "300"
        Option "Sensitivity" "1.1"
        #Option "TapDragTime" "1000"
    EndSection
    This is with the code compiled from the latest master branch on your github 4/28.

I haven't heard anybody else mention this issue, but tap-to-drag does not work at all for me. (Holding the physical integrated button and dragging works fine.) It is like tap to drag is not executing. I tried increasing TapDragTime but it has no effect.

Also, I am looking forward to Disable Pad While Typing. I saw in your github notes that it should work but I don't know how to enable it.

Thanks for your terrific work!
    Last edited by roydrager; April 29th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Good news, nobody! Version 0.1.1 is here!

Changelog for v0.1.1
    • Bugfix release.
    • Disabling tapping no longer (wrongly) disables pointer movement.
    • Button emulation set to ignore "old" touches. What consitutes an old touch can be adjusted with the ButtonTouchExpire option.

All bug fixes have also been (and will continue to be) merged into the dev branch.
    You sir, are my savior. I will try this and report my results and configs ASAP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Helios747 View Post
    You sir, are my savior. I will try this and report my results and configs ASAP.
    That's some high praise, not sure if I'm worthy

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I'll be updating the default config for the next release.

Somehow while I was screwing around with two different remotes (my private gitolite server and github) I managed to merge changes from dev into master. No clue how. So sensitivity support is in master now. Not what I intended, but at least I've already tested it. It's just simple multiplication, anyways...

I'm going to go ahead and do a real merge from dev to master just so everything else is in sync and I don't shoot myself in the foot, here.

EDIT: Merge is done, new features coming your way!
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; April 29th, 2011 at 06:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Updated. This is awesome. Everything works just as I like it in OS X, more or less. I'm using this config right now but I plan on tweaking it as I use this driver.

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Identifier      "Touchpads"
        Driver          "mtrack"
        Option          "TapButton1" "0"
        Option          "TapButton2" "0"
        Option          "TapButton3" "0"
        Option          "ThumbSize"  "26"
        Option          "Sensitivity" "0.85"
        Option          "ScrollDistance" "175"
        Option          "FingerHigh" "10"
        Option          "FingerLow"  "10"
    EndSection
    I'll update this post with my settings as I tweak them for anybody who likes this.
    Last edited by Helios747; April 30th, 2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Config updated.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast