Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lenovo kernels?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

lenovo kernels?

Where can I find the download?: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...re/201102-7229

Thanks,
    Ch
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: lenovo kernels?

The Lenovo Thinkpad T520 laptop has been awarded the status of Certified on Ubuntu PC (x86).

Please note that for pre-installed systems:

1) A special image of Ubuntu is available via the computer manufacturer designed for this specific computer. It takes advantage of hardware features for these systems and may include proprietary software and codecs. Please contact the computer manufacturer for access to that specific Ubuntu operating system version.

Beans
    Distro

I was hoping not to have to go through that, and just find a link - thanks

Beans

Perhaps I can rephrase cement_head's question in order to avoid someone cutting and pasting the very link that was provided as if it should be a painfully obvious answer to the question. Does anyone think contacting the manufacturer directly about a Linux distribution sound like anything that's not akin to sticking sharp things in your eye?

Try this:
    Has anyone contacted Lenovo/Thinkpad and been referred to the exact instructions or link to obtain the Ubuntu version cited in the link concerning a unique build for the T520? If so, please let others know what it actually entailed and what your experiences were/are.

Thank you.
    ***rolling eyes***

Beans
    Distro

@tursiops

Thanks, that's a better re-phrase of what I was after...

OR...Anyone have experience on installing Ubuntu 10.04 or greater on a T520? How does it work?

Thanks
    Last edited by frogotronic; April 14th, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

hey I have a basic t520 (intel 2520 / Intel HD Graphics)

tried installing the AMD64 DVD version of 11.04(64 bit version) - it didn't work (as a live disk). I tested my 10.04 CD and the live disk worked fine. Using the 11.04 Wubi didn't work either, I got an error half way through 210 rev error I think.

anyone else care to share their experiences.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    @tursiops
    OR...Anyone have experience on installing Ubuntu 10.04 or greater on a T520? How does it work?
    Works for me on 11.04 amd64, tried 10.10 and 11.04 i686 version, work as well however 10.10 and 11.04 have different list of unsupported hardware. On 10.10 Bluetooth did not work because no device has been found and 11.04 may not detect ThinkFinger. I have not tried card reader, firewire and other extension slots yet, I have disabled WAN/WiMAX and modem because no use for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just ordered a t520 from Lenovo, but it hasn't arrived yet. I did contact Lenovo via their website support chat and inquired about the special image as well as not paying for Windows 7 (as I won't be using it).

I was informed that they do not sell any computers without Windows 7 and that they do not have any special image of Ubuntu. I was instructed to get Ubuntu from the Ubuntu site.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thaibuntu View Post
    I just ordered a t520 from Lenovo, but it hasn't arrived yet. I did contact Lenovo via their website support chat and inquired about the special image as well as not paying for Windows 7 (as I won't be using it).

I was informed that they do not sell any computers without Windows 7 and that they do not have any special image of Ubuntu. I was instructed to get Ubuntu from the Ubuntu site.
    Please let us know how Ubuntu installs, especially with the GPU switching.

- CH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My new T520 has been shipped, so here's to hoping I can report back on comparability by the end of the coming week.

[EDIT] In regards to GPU switching: I have been doing to preparatory research and it would appear that Optimus does not work out of the box with Ubuntu. nVidia doesn't have/won't have a solution because its not a hardware problem, but rather a software problem (drivers excluded). But there is hope on the horizon.

Check this out, if you would:https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee. It's called the BumbleBee project and is supposed to enable Optimus on Linux and has a numbered of tested and working laptop models (unfortunately, Lenovo Thinkpad t520 is not one of those).

Hope this helps you ('cause it'll help me).
    Last edited by thaibuntu; May 23rd, 2011 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast