Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Unity so far...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hate Unity so far...

Everything I've done has taken longer, is more difficult and less organized. I know this is still a beta but man I hope it's not like this in the final.

Why not gnome 3?????

Gnome is sooo much simpler and easier....

Anyone agree?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I hate Unity so far...

I don't really like either, XFCE 4.8 for me!

Unity on 10.10 had the cursor lagging, @2.0 gigahertz, 1.4 gig of RAM and Nvidia card! So, not so sure about Unity.

Check out Unity 2D though!
    Microsoft:"Why do you not use Windows?" Me: "Did you have to ask?"
    Enigmagroup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm using Xubuntu Natty between Unity and the Classic desktop I have found it easier to deal with. Compiz fired up and the cube spins happily. I turned of a few auto startups and the memory is below 200mb closer to 130 idling.

I downloaded the actual Xubuntu cd, I didn't just install the desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kn0w-b1nary View Post
    I don't really like either, XFCE 4.8 for me!

Unity on 10.10 had the cursor lagging, @2.0 gigahertz, 1.4 gig of RAM and Nvidia card! So, not so sure about Unity.

Check out Unity 2D though!
    Is the 2d just a setting i need to turn on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No, it's a separate package. It used to be called unity-qt, but I think it's just unity-2d, now. Search Synaptic; it's in the default repos.

Then you'll need to log out and select it as a session.

There's plenty of discussion elsewhere on UF about Unity's usability, so I'm not going to chime in on that.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I totally agree with the OP although I'm reluctantly using Unity now on 11.04 B. It is still a beta but considering the final release is only a few weeks or less away I don't see it getting a whole lot better or more stable. Thing's like not being able to place applets on the top or bottom bar I hate ( I liked having system monitor and force quit on the bottom bar). Also there is no tab's so when an app is running you better hope it's on the dock and even so that becomes a problem when trying to open multiple instances of the same program, (in my case I was trying to open my home folder multiple times to transfer files but couldn't.

As of right now many thing's still don't work correctly either and the main interface of Unity is pretty non intuitive and bloated I think. With Ubuntu classic & Gnome 2 you can quickly see what program's you have and what category there under, with Unity you have a choice on the main menu but everything is organized under new categories that are supposed to broadly cover many types off apps instead of putting them into the categories where they belong to start with. But instead you have a choice of "Media or Internet" and the rest are all lumped together in more apps where you have to do additional sorting because that menu only shows a few of the most used and a few of the installed, then you must click show all and sort through one huge mess of apps to find the one to suit your needs. and there's also the annoying apps available for download section as well that is not removable. Yes it is possible to search but that takes additional time and effort where as with Ubuntu classic I can quickly scroll over with my mouse to the menu find the category I want and click on the app I need which is much faster.

I personally like these new style desktop interfaces like Unity or gnome 3 and I'm also a big fan of Android. And I think Unity has lot of potential but new users beware it is not quite ready in my opinion.

Beans

You just haven't learned to use it. For nautilus there's tabs, you don't need 2 windows, just middle click drag to the tabs. Applications the search bar is fastest, just 2 or 3 letters & i bet your app is there.

I know it's hard learning when no ones teaching, but it's right there in front of you, just got to play with it.

gnome-panel runs just fine in unity, just set it like you want & add it to the startup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kerry_s; April 14th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I too hated Untiy when I first installed it. However I persevered with it and now I find it so much quicker to access programs and generally quicker response times.
    I love it now and I don’t think I could go back to gnome.

I think they've made a shrewd move bringing this out.

My advice - run with it - give it a go - it is a different way of working but once you get the hang of whats going on - you'll be so pleased you done it.

so far in its Beta stage I've only found one thing that wont work, and i hasn't crashed out on me yet either. Well done !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I love it now and I don’t think I could go back to gnome.
    Not to be uber-pedantic, but Unity is still a Gnome blend, along with Shell and Classic.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree, Unity is pretty crappy (in my opinion), takes forever to get work done. So I switched over to Gnome3, its brilliant

Heres to the next fork, i guess

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast