Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: I hate Unity so far...

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I hate Unity so far...

Quote Originally Posted by kvdbreem View Post
    6. My seriously considering either down-grading to 10.04 again or else just adopting KDE, which still has its own stability problems.
    I've done both but I don't have the stability problems with KDE that you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    Now KDE is another animal altogether. I fiddled with it for a while and decided to stick with Unity.
    I fiddled with it for a while, realised how awesome some of the applications are so I made it look and feel like something that I really want to use. It took some time but I feel it was worth it. I'll consider using Unity full-time when the next LTS, 12.04 is available, for now it just seems unfinished and buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    want to use. It took some time but I feel it was worth it. I'll consider using Unity full-time when the next LTS, 12.04 is available, for now it just seems unfinished and buggy.
    As far as KDE, perhaps if I had fiddled with it more, I might have liked it.But if I am to stick with Ubuntu, it appears, that I/we ought to get used to Unity. Unity 11.04 is unfinished an buggy, I'll grant you that. I am sticking with it in the hopes that 12.04 will be more "stable" and less buggy. Less on new apps and features and more on making it solid
    Last edited by ubume2; May 14th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Menus only when in full screen mode? Really?

Tell me I am wrong, but my 11.04 64-bit Unity setup will only show me an app's standard top level menu when that app is using the entire screen. When displayed as a window on the desktop, I cannot get Unity to show me that menu. This can't be what is intended. Why limit the top menu display visibility for any reason?

[update] Try this: While running Unity, go up to the 3rd window sizing icon, the one with the rectangle, and click it to go to full screen. Then, float right and view the top level menu flop over that window title. Now, click that icon again, and notice that the 'menu icon flop-over feature' is no longer working.

[2nd update:] So, more discoveries. I discovered that the top menu problem I was having was due to the fact that Unity puts the top level menu into the top line of the screen, apparently always. Again, I am mystified as to the logic of this. I am running Firefox as I write this in full screen mode. When I move my mouse over the top line title, it changes to the Firefox top menu. Ok. Now, I change to a sub-window view, and the title of my window stays the same, but the menu feature is gone. But wait, the top line of the screen says 'Firefox web Browser', and if I mouse over it, Voila!, the Firefox top menu flops over the title.
    Why is the menu for my small floating window peeled off and stuck in the upper left hand corner of my display screen? Good question. Would some Unity developers like to weigh in on this question? Peculiar behavior, IMO.
    Last edited by explainer; May 15th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
    Regards,
    Natty Narwhal 64bit (for now)
    AMD Socket AM2 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    4GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: I hate Unity so far...

At first I hated it. But it is growing on me. Once you get used to it, it is rather quick.

Beans

my experience with unity was a rather disappointing one.everything was slower and buggy every here and there, although my machine can easily handle it.

i embrace change as long as i'm not forced into using it.given its still a young DE, a lot more improvement is needed.

all in all i'm sticking with the old fashion gnome 2.its the best DE for me.
    ::check my deviant:: maybe you find something you like

Beans

KDE has configurability. You can customize the panel the way you want it.

If you like it simple, stick with Unity. Power users are going to hate it but Joe and Jane Average, they just want an operating system "that works."

Linux has had a geek reputation and Unity's interface suggests that all you have to do is point and click.

The only thing I hate about it the applications and search lenses are cluttered and you can't find an item by category.

Canonical should bring back the category panels from netbook remix but keep them hidden by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by msrinath80 View Post
    Actually, come to think of it, it would make sense to restore the window controls (min/max/close) to the right and move the Unity bar also to the same position (right of the screen). That way anything that needs to be done will only require that the user move the pointer to one location, instead of going back and forth all over the screen. An additional benefit of doing so, is that clarity of reading is restored. *Most* folks read from Left to Right. Instead of having a bar full of colorful icons greeting (and occasionally distracting) the user on the left, you can retain the functionality of the Unity launcher/dock by moving it to the right. Now all controls and status indicators are close by. Just my 0.02$
    I agree. Move the window controls to the right and the launcher to the right or bottom of the screen. I wish I could easily see what applications are active like I used to with the bottom panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    The only thing I hate about it the applications and search lenses are cluttered and you can't find an item by category.
    You actually can view the applications by category, but it requires a lot more clicking. I agree that it's generally more disorganized, though...which is a giant annoyance.

Personally, I tried Unity and I REALLY tried to like it, but it's not for me.

Unity is counter-intuitive.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Shell is currently my favorite UI of the lot. My opinion is that while you may not agree with Shell's current lack of flexibility, there is a very clear product vision. Every UI feature has been thought out carefully to guide the user to navigate around the desktop a certain way that the designers believe will make you more efficient. You can agree or disagree with what they're doing, but they had goals and have done their best to achieve those goals.

Unity on the other hand, I don't see it. I don't know what it is trying to be. Why is are they using overlay scroll bars? It's apparently to accommodate smaller screens, so is Unity for small devices then? If so, why is it being shipped for the desktop? What is the reason for a global menu? How is the dock, and the default buttons on it designed to help us? The impression I'm getting is that they are just adding "whatever's cool and interesting" and not taking the big picture into account.

While the bugginess and poor UI decisions (tiny blue triangle lol) I can attribute to growing pains, it's this lack of direction that really worries me.
    This +1

I'm not currently using Gnome Shell on my main system because it's not 100% stable on Debian yet and it's still not customizable enough for my liking (I'm happily using Xfce 4.8 instead). But in the near future I expect that it will be my DE of choice, especially now that lots of people are writing useful extensions for it.

Unity is a mismash of bling and bugs with no coherence. Whether you like it or not, Gnome Shell is the logical and faithful application of some very thoughtful design decisions. It achieves what it set out to do, which is "getting the desktop out of your way" so you can focus on the task at hand.

OTOH, what is Unity trying to do? Damned if I can figure it out. On a superficial level it looks a lot like Gnome Shell, but the moment you start to use it the difference is clear.

The global menus in particular run completely counter to every UI rule that I can think of. Major UI elements should not jump around - they should be where you expect them to be. If saving vertical space was a priority, why not just auto-hide the top bar and leave the application menus alone?

Canonical should have tried harder to work with the Gnome team on Gnome Shell (they could have created extensions for it to add global menus or lenses or whatever else they thought was of value) instead of creating a completely separate DE that just appears to be a bad copy made by people who didn't really understand what they were copying.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans

I am totally livid about Unity. I don't use a damn tablet, give me back my scroll bars. I installed xfce4 and all the stupid apps open with the ****** unity scroll replacement that only works half the time. The other half, I am trying to line up my touch pad to hit the up/down arrows, then it disappears. Totally not usable.

I am really rethinking Ubuntu use, or ripping Unity or ripping out Unity completely.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast