Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel HD 3000 Graphics support for xorg?

Beans

Re: Intel HD 3000 Graphics support for xorg?

Hope somebody gets on this, because it's a real show-stopper for many folks.

Beans

I'm RMA'ing my shiny new System 76 latop because of this issue.

Unless a fix comes out before they get me the RMA information.

Beans

I just built a z68 system with asrock extreme4 and it seemed to run fine with 11.04. Is there a specific issue I should be looking forward to encountering ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by egon.olsen View Post
    @ no.human.being, what exactly did you mean with "dual-view configuration". Did you refer to the xorg.conf setup in this way or having the external screen connected all the time?
    No. You can use the internal panel only or you can use both, the internal panel (notebook) and the external monitor. If you disable the internal panel (either by disabling it in "System --> Settings --> Screen" or by closing the laptop lid) the external monitor gets disabled as well. There is no way to use external only, like one might sometimes like to when the notebook is docked. So you're definitely forced to using both, internal and external display, in dual-view, or refrain from using the external display device at all. Seems the video controller is somehow "linked" to the internal display, so that internal display disabled => video controller disabled => no picture at external monitor either.

You can disable the external screen (by disconnecting it or simply disabling it under "System --> Settings --> Screen") and use the internal display only, but you cannot disable the internal panel and use external only. If you try to, the whole graphics device gets suspended, so that there's no signal for the external display device either.

Sorry if this was a bit unclear at first. English is not my first language.
    Last edited by no.human.being; July 6th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Beans

Can you guys explain for a newb how did you made this to work? I purchased today a Intel I5 2500k + a H67 chipset mainboard, with Intel HD graphics 3000 and i can't select more than 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
    I'm using ubuntu 11.04

*-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 09
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:49 memory:fe000000-fe3fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64)

Thank you!

Beans

I have similar problems with an external monitor (VGA and HDMI) as described by many other users in this thread. The last post is four weeks old. Is there any development in this direction?

Kind regards

Beans

i have a similar problem.

whenever i play The Longest Journey with my 32" HDMI TV hooked on my DEll xps15, everything works fine, great FPS and all that. But as soon as I unplug my TV and just want to play on my laptop screen i can't see the cutscenes from the game. to view them i absolutely have to play in "windowed" mode and ALSO I have to click and drag beginning outside the "windowed" game (desktop) and then inside of it, and i have to keep moving the mouse in order to see the video properly. If i stop moving the mouse, the video freezes.

so i'm left wondering, is this a screen problem rather than my Intel HD 3000. or both. I Freaking don't know.

please help

Beans

Hi all,

I'm using E3-1235 with C206 chipset.
    Also encountered the same issue with HD3000 graphic driver.

Is there any update on this issue to resolve the lack of support for the HD 3000 iGPU?

Thanks.

Beans

This fix worked great !

Samsung Series 3 (i2357 chip) Ubuntu 10.04.3 (kernel 2.6.38 )

Intel HD 3000 controller not recoginzed Ubuntu 10.04
    (symptom: main menu - administration - preferences - monitors shows 'unknown'
    unable to configure any external monitors)

Fix:

Step 1 - update kernel to 2.6.38

Step 2 - add repository
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa(colon)xorg-edgers/ppa

Step 3 download updates
    sudo apt-get update

Step 4 launch update manager and install updates

Step 5 reboot

Check: main menu - Administration - preferences - monitors
    you should see 'Laptop'
    Last edited by talthing; August 18th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Beans

For some systems, turning on the semaphores in the kernel intel graphics driver helps. In others, it can make it worse, but it's worth a shot, since the results have been promising.

Adding i915.semaphores=1 to the kernel command line (do this by typing 'e' at the GRUB screen and adding it to the line with the text vt.handoff in it).

To make the change permanent, you need to edit /etc/default/grub and add it like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.semaphores=1"

Lastly, today's kernel update for 11.04 also has some intel lockup fixes in it.

Hope that helps!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast