Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ZA Forums

Lo Guys ,

I am in SA and a big fan of ubuntu.

I'm trying to find a good SA Ubuntu community forum. Came across this one , but doesn't seem very active.

You guys know of any good active SA community forums ?
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ZA Forums

Hi Ghost.

And welcome!

http://ubuntu-za.org/get-involved would be a good place to start, the mailing lists are by far our most active resource irc is pretty active as well.

drubin

Beans

Yeah, it's all mailing lists and irc for the ZA Ubuntu crowd. I'm keen to get a ZA Forum off the ground. I have hosting space, and will do the necessary, what ya think? I'll mail the mailing list and see if peeps would be keen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Yeah, it's all mailing lists and irc for the ZA Ubuntu crowd. I'm keen to get a ZA Forum off the ground. I have hosting space, and will do the necessary, what ya think? I'll mail the mailing list and see if peeps would be keen.
    Generally the community doesn't work well with forums. If they aren't using the ubuntu forums (the main section and this za section) they aren't going to use yet another forum that they need to sign up for.

I value your efforts but if you want to make the forums active I would suggest starting with these forms, or keep the existing stuff going.

Just my 2cents.

Beans
    Distro

I'd love to see more ZA people get into Ubuntu and get out of the ******* slavery.

Beans
    Hidden!

As drubin says, the mailing list is by far the most active. It's pretty helpful.

You could even meet people in person ... Ubuntu 11.04 Release Party (Pretoria) | Ubuntu LoCo Team Directory

Beans
    Distro

I have just joined the mailing list and popped in on the IRC channel as well

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drubin View Post
    Generally the community doesn't work well with forums. If they aren't using the ubuntu forums (the main section and this za section) they aren't going to use yet another forum that they need to sign up for.

I value your efforts but if you want to make the forums active I would suggest starting with these forms, or keep the existing stuff going.

Just my 2cents.
    Yip. I hear you. I wonder it is though. For your average computer user, mailing lists and especially IRC are incomprehensible. They like a forum or some sort of social website. It's difficult to understand that the ZA ubuntu team want to promote ubuntu on the one hand, but make it so difficult for someone outside the group to interact in a way that they understand on the other.

Edit: Even being on the mailing list, you still get the feeling that a lot of the ZA guys are very clique-y. And if you don't go to loco meetings, or ubuntu hour coffee shop things, that you are not part of the cool kids.

Also, they will spend four days e-mailing each other back and forth over a question that could be answered by going to the first page of ABT on this forum.

I don't get how they want to get ubuntu more mainstream and user friendly with this narrow approach.

my 1cent.
    Last edited by pinballwizard; April 14th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SecretCode View Post
    As drubin says, the mailing list is by far the most active. It's pretty helpful.

You could even meet people in person ... Ubuntu 11.04 Release Party (Pretoria) | Ubuntu LoCo Team Directory
    yeah, that's great, but we could be a group that goes beyond ubuntu only things. I mean some poor bugger asked for a windscreen wiper motor on the mailing list the other day, and boy did he get a bollocking. Now, I agree that the mailing list isn't the place to ask for that, but I almost garantee you that some ubuntu users, probably even ones on the mailing list, could have helped him, and if they would open up to a wider idea, there would be some value.

Also, it would be a lot simpler to direct a new ubuntu user to a website/forum that a mailing list.

another 1cent. That's it, I'm broke.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Also, they will spend four days e-mailing each other back and forth over a question that could be answered by going to the first page of ABT on this forum.
    Gmail has a "mute" button.

Only discovered it yesterday, but it works like a charm.

PS: If we use this forum more, we could move the thread to the correct section and get more help from the international okes.
    Last edited by Funkey Monkey; April 14th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast