Thread: MathCAD equivalent

Beans

MathCAD equivalent

A few months ago I managed to find in some post a reference to an open source mathcad alternative project. I was wondering if someone here may know what I am looking for.

For those of you who do not mathcad it is not mathlab/octave/scilab like, nor is it a CAS such as wxMaxima. What it is, is page layout equation editor on steroids. The equations defined look like the equation editor equivalent, but with the ability to define variables and perform calculations (with also some numerical solver capabilities). There are some ties to Maple libraries that lets one do symbolic processing also, but the real power is easily defining equations (even using matrix variables) that both calculate and are nice to display. It is the ideal tool for a teacher or TA who wishes to produce nice solutions to questions without doing all the work two or three times to do the calculations and the publishing.

I did find an open source project like this once. I just don't remember the name and cannot seem to find the bookmarks.

So if somebody can point me to the right direction without the usual references to mathlab and Maxima it would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: MathCAD equivalent

Quote Originally Posted by juaninse View Post
    A few months ago I managed to find in some post a reference to an open source mathcad alternative project. I was wondering if someone here may know what I am looking for.

For those of you who do not mathcad it is not mathlab/octave/scilab like, nor is it a CAS such as wxMaxima. What it is, is page layout equation editor on steroids. The equations defined look like the equation editor equivalent, but with the ability to define variables and perform calculations (with also some numerical solver capabilities). There are some ties to Maple libraries that lets one do symbolic processing also, but the real power is easily defining equations (even using matrix variables) that both calculate and are nice to display. It is the ideal tool for a teacher or TA who wishes to produce nice solutions to questions without doing all the work two or three times to do the calculations and the publishing.

I did find an open source project like this once. I just don't remember the name and cannot seem to find the bookmarks.

So if somebody can point me to the right direction without the usual references to mathlab and Maxima it would be greatly appreciated.
    Sage, maybe?

http://www.sagemath.org/
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

Beans

Smath is MathCAD like and it was simple to install.

http://en.smath.info/forum/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingmachine View Post
    Smath is MathCAD like and it was simple to install.

http://en.smath.info/forum/
    This looks really cool! I think I'm going to try it out. I don't know if this is what <juaninse> is looking for, but it certainly looks a lot like MATHCAD. The software does not appear to be open source, although at the moment it's offered free of charge.
    Last edited by klytu; April 20th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

Beans

Thanks for sharing....There are some ties to Maple libraries that lets one do symbolic processing also, but the real power is easily defining equations (even using matrix variables) that both calculate and are nice to display.

Beans

It's a good thing that someone asked about a free/open-source MathCAD equivalent. SMath really is a good absolutely free alternative to MathCAD, with support for MathCAD's own format .xmcd (a bit limited at the moment according to the forum, but still a good treat), also it features the same "paper"-like interface with the WYSIWYG solution, it has support for 35+ languages. Apart from this it has a live version useful if you have internet connection and you're far from your workdesk. In order to use Smath, you need to install mono-complete from the Software Center. It really is a useful software, that speeds up your scientific/engineering work.
    Last edited by Huszarnyi; January 6th, 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Grammar mistakes

Beans

You should really check out www.kalcs.com . It tracks units AND variables for you. It works with any Mozilla-based browser on the linux platform.