Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Minecraft Installer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Minecraft Installer

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacJGL View Post
    I think that this is a bit too much, all I do with minecraft is put the .jar file on my desktop, double click on it, and vwalla, perfect minecraft, without several lines of code and having to type minecraft each time I want to play
    That's all it takes for some people, Isaac, *when you have the requirements* already set up. In your case, you already had Java installed and working fine. You also have manually downloaded the .jar., placed it in desktop (equivalent to creating a launcher). Your desktop also had a convenient .jar->java file open association, and the default parameters worked fine. Now add a nice icon and that's what most basic install scripts will do.

It worked for you, it works for some, perhaps even for most, but not for everyone. Some require a few tweaks and workarounds. And that's what some install scripts try to do. Some also add nice features like mod management.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sure Alloc had the best intentions and spent countless hours developing his script, so kudos for being so helpful towards the community, it was indeed an admirable effort.

But the code itself has dozens of the worse Bash programming practices.. so while it may work for most, and I'm sure it saved the day of many Minecraft players, I really do not recommend using it or learning from it.

A few examples:

- /home/$(whoami)/some/dir instead of "$HOME/some/dir". Not all users have their $HOME at /home/<user>, and no need to invoke an external command when "$HOME" is safer and faster. Also any variable expansion must be double-quoted.

- sudo chmod +x /some/file: sudo should not be used when dealing with files owned by the user. The user can change permissions on his own files. Also, +x should be used only with *executables*, not for every file. And a ".jar" file is *not* an executable (java is).

- using multiple lines of "echo '1. ...'" for menus with dozens of "if"s later: there is "select" and "case" for that.

- using multiple lines of "echo '...' >> file". There is "cat > file <<_EOF_ ... multiple .... lines ... _EOF_" for that.

- Lack of indentation leading to several "fi fi fi" lines in the same column. Very hard to follow.

- Installing some files (executable) in system dir (/usr/local/bin) and others in user dir (desktop, icons). If an executable is /usr/local/bin the .desktop should be at /usr/local/share/applications. Either make a system install or user install, but don't mix both.

- sudo gnome-terminal -x sudo update-alternatives .... ??? Why invoke a 2nd shell? and why gnome-terminal?

- Value=1.0 in a .desktop file. It's not "Value", its "Version". And it should not be used unless the .desktop conforms with the spec, which the ones created by the script aren't.

The list goes on and on...
    Last edited by MestreLion; March 27th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is my take on the subject of Minecraft installers and launchers:

https://github.com/MestreLion/minecraft

It's hosted at github, using a git repository, so feel free to suggest, improve, make corrections, etc.

Happy mining!

Beans

Hey guys, been a while since my last post! I've been busy with a rewrite of that script I posted on page 10, and it's finally done. I haven't had time to work on it but I finished it up last night.

Here's what it has:
    • Server installation
      • Supports Bukkit, Vanilla, and Spigot. Will add support for Tekkit soon.

• Server upgrades
    • Client installation
    • Client troubleshooting
    • Automatic OpenJDK installation
      • Supports Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch Linux, and others.
      • I'm currently working on getting OpenJDK for ARM processors working!

• Launcher creation & Unity (dockapi) integration
    • Debug tools for client

Here's what I'm planning (in order of priority)
    • LWJGL updater
    • Minecraft server as system service (init.d)
    • Python port (With PyGTK as a GUI)
    • Chrome OS support?
      • When implemented, your Chrome OS device MUST BE in developer mode in order to access bash.

Download (BitBucket)

(Download mcnix.sh and run in a terminal)
    Last edited by alfonsojon; June 2nd, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Beans

Wouldn't it be better to check for java 7 instead of java 6?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Ok I have a problem. I went in and changed it's permission and it looks like this:

And when I double left click the file it loads in gedit:

What do I do to get this to work?
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 - i5-3470 - 8GB Corsair - Geforce GT 710 -
    Samsung 250GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I THINK it's standard behaviour for Nautilus in Ubuntu 13.04 to only open text-files in text-editors. In Nautilus, go File->Setting->Behaviour, under "Executable Text Files" pick "Ask every time", or something like that.

PS. I don't have english as default, so my translation may be off.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Ok I will try that when I get home, thanks.
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 - i5-3470 - 8GB Corsair - Geforce GT 710 -
    Samsung 250GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do we even need Minecraft installers anymore? A couple years ago, Minecraft was a bit of a pain to install, but these days its one of the easiest things to do. I installed it last week on this system and it took about two minutes.
    Step 1: Download Minecraft .jar file
    Step 2: Install openjdk7
    Thats it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This should do it GameGure:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences executable-text-activation ask
    whatthefunk: Installing Java and Minecraft isn't the "hard" part, updating lwjgl and modding is.
    This is my signature

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast