Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on HP 4 Partition Machines

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on HP 4 Partition Machines

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and I'm trying to figure out how to load Ubuntu onto an HP Netbook Mini 5102. I have some knowledge of what i'm doing but here's the dilemma..

I have 4 pre-loaded partitions on this HP machine, and I could just wipe the drive and put Ubuntu on there no problem, but I'd like to keep the recovery partition and Windows 7 installed in addition. The 4 partitions are as follows:

Windows 7 loader part 300mb - ntfs
    Windows 7 141gb -ntfs
    Hp recovery 16gb -ntfs
    HP TOOLS 2gb - fat32

Since I'm limited to 4 partitions per disk, I wanted to format the HP tools (HP quickweb and such) 2gb one and throw Ubuntu on it. The real problem is 2gb is just not enough for the install.

What on earth do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Ubuntu on HP 4 Partition Machines

Quote Originally Posted by miradus View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and I'm trying to figure out how to load Ubuntu onto an HP Netbook Mini 5102. I have some knowledge of what i'm doing but here's the dilemma..

I have 4 pre-loaded partitions on this HP machine, and I could just wipe the drive and put Ubuntu on there no problem, but I'd like to keep the recovery partition and Windows 7 installed in addition. The 4 partitions are as follows:

Windows 7 loader part 300mb - ntfs
    Windows 7 141gb -ntfs
    Hp recovery 16gb -ntfs
    HP TOOLS 2gb - fat32

Since I'm limited to 4 partitions per disk, I wanted to format the HP tools (HP quickweb and such) 2gb one and throw Ubuntu on it. The real problem is 2gb is just not enough for the install.

What on earth do I do?
    You could eliminate the HP Tools partition. I am not sure of the downside of this action and haven't had the nerve to try it on my Mini 210 yet.

After cutting out one partition, use the Win 7 tools to reduce the size of the 141gb NTFS partition, maybe to 80gb. Then us9ng gparted create an extended partition in the 60 or so gb of unallocated space just created. Now using gparted, create logical partitions in the extended partition to install Ubuntu.

Jerry

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miradus View Post
    I wanted to format the HP tools (HP quickweb and such) 2gb one and throw Ubuntu on it. p
    Do this and "steal" some space from the other ntfs partitions in order to give a bit more room to your ubuntu partition.
    But do all this from windows 7 (disk management) and not with gparted, to avoid damaging windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    Do this and "steal" some space from the other ntfs partitions in order to give a bit more room to your ubuntu partition.
    But do all this from windows 7 (disk management) and not with gparted, to avoid damaging windows.
    So when I goto install I should be able to format the entire amount of unallocated space within the installation of ubuntu? Or should i format the unallocated space to fat32 or w/e in windows?

Lastly, do I need to worry about a SWAP partition i've been reading about?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry N View Post
    You could eliminate the HP Tools partition. I am not sure of the downside of this action and haven't had the nerve to try it on my Mini 210 yet.

After cutting out one partition, use the Win 7 tools to reduce the size of the 141gb NTFS partition, maybe to 80gb. Then us9ng gparted create an extended partition in the 60 or so gb of unallocated space just created. Now using gparted, create logical partitions in the extended partition to install Ubuntu.

Jerry
    If i'm using Gparted, i can create more than 4 partitions? But they need to be logical? Havn't quite grasped this one yet.

Beans

The ubuntu installer will take care of the formatting - I'd suggest ext4 format for your ubuntu partitions.

IMO, you should create a swap partition, if you want to suspend or hibernate your netbook.

One more thing; during installation, when you reach the partitioner, choose manual partitioning:
    1)Create one partition of ~1-2gb for swap
    2)Another one of ~10-15gb for root (mount point:/, format:ext4)
    3)A third one (the rest of your space) for your home folder (mount point:/home, format:ext4).

All the above of course mean that you should first create an extended partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    The ubuntu installer will take care of the formatting - I'd suggest ext4 format for your ubuntu partitions.

IMO, you should create a swap partition, if you want to suspend or hibernate your netbook.

One more thing; during installation, when you reach the partitioner, choose manual partitioning:
    1)Create one partition of ~1-2gb for swap
    2)Another one of ~10-15gb for root (mount point:/, format:ext4)
    3)A third one (the rest of your space) for your home folder (mount point:/home, format:ext4).

All the above of course mean that you should first create an extended partition.
    Ok so doing an extended partition with the whole of the remainder of disk space will allow me to not worry about the 4 partition rule then? Ill give this a shot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another option is to create 2 sets of the recovery DVDs, and sacrifice the 16 gig Hp recovery 16gb -ntfs partition instead:

When all four primary partitions are taken (the HP install)

First how it looks in Windows:

What it looks like in gparted off the LiveCD:

Right click on sda3 and select 'Delete':

Press the 'check' mark button to really make the change:

Right Click, on empty area, select new and create extended sda3 (Press that check mark button again...):

Create your sda5 Ubuntu partition, leave a little room for swap later (Format this ext4 - and press that check mark button again.):

Create sda6 and make it swap space:

Press the check mark button again
    Last edited by Hedgehog1; April 10th, 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You are ready to install Ubuntu:

Select this during the install:

And you will get to here:

We will add some extra data to sda5 and sda6. With sda5 highlighted, press the [CHANGE] button:

These settings prepare the partition to be exdt4, '/'.
    Repeat the steps for the swap area (This usually set itself up OK) :

You are ready to install. Press [Install Now].

This is what the drive looks like in the 'Disk Utility' in Ubuntu after the load is complete:

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok so doing an extended partition with the whole of the remainder of disk space will allow me to not worry about the 4 partition rule then?
    The 4 partition rule is always in effect. But one of those 4 primary partitions can be an extended partition. And the extended partition can contain multiple partitions, which are called logical partitions. In other words, an extended partition is just a container for logical partitions.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast