Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I have been using it for two days now and I love it. I decided to reinstall gnome and compile gnome 3 over KDE. The reason was that Kwin has some serious performance issues with my hardware. With Mutter/Gnome-Shell the animations are always smooth. It makes the experience seem a lot better.

To be honest the visual orientation and the easy organisation of windows makes my life easier as well. I can't wait to see what goes into it in the future.
    Exactly the same here!

Tried Gnome 2, didn't like it, and I have always preferred KDE until now.

Now I've been using Gnome 3 for 5 days from the PPA and loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Meh. LXDE and xfce are still my preferred WM/DEs
    I had to do it.

Beans

Tried it on Fedora but couldn't get used to it. So I went back to KDE.

Beans

I haven't had the best chance to test it at length (Fedora alpha kept freezign on me) but my initial impression is good. It feels very nice to use and is a huge step-up in presentation from GNOME 2. My biggest criticisms for the moment are that mutter's performance still is lagging behind what Compiz can get, especially when invoking overlay mode. Nautilus is still ugly as hell and wastes a great deal of space, and while it's all very fancy it still often takes more actions on the part of the user to accomplish a task than it did before (I know ye olde taskbar is sooooo 2000s, but in the end it's still quicker than expose or any dock for quick switching of tasks).

I generally like it though, certainly thrashes Unity and it's obviously been very well considered.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I love it, but the padding. Oh god the padding. Those themers need some sense slapped into them.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My other half (non-techie) (well, less-techie, given that she's been quite happy with ubuntu for a year now) had a go with it, and said she liked it. I was a bit surprised, as I thought your average joe bloggs (ok she isn't) would find it a bit irritating/superfluous.

I think it looks promising. I'll hold out for them returning the 'Places' and 'System' somewhere into the shell.

Maybe they could integrate some sort of package manager as well into it?

D

Beans
    Hidden!

I downloaded both the beta for Ubuntu 11.04 to try Unity and the alpha for Fedora 15 to try Gnome 3 shell.

Unity was pretty immature. Kinda half-way done feeling, but atleast I got to try Unity.

Fedora 15 alpha stuck me in the 2 panel Gnome 3 DE. total garbage btw.
    Not sure why, I was running it on a Toshiba Sat. with Intel HD graphics.

So..don't really have an opinion of Gnome 3 shell yet. Hopefully it was just Fedora being bad. because my specs don't warrant that desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do not like it.

Beans

I used it today and yesterday (Fedora 15) for the first time since the official release and, I liked it a whole lot more than I thought I would. The desktop was incredibly smooth with my old card running the Nouveau drivers. Gnome had to do something to keep from becoming obsolete and I actually think they did a decent job overall. I already like it more than Gnome 2. They also (finally) added a sane system setting program by default.

I still like KDE best overall though .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

not a fan of gnome 3. application hunting is ridiculous. i had to switch it to low graphics mode just to get the old application menu. even then i cant customize it to my liking.

i shouldn't have type the name of an app to find it. gnome 3 would be great if the mouse was never invented. i feel as if im clicking and scrolling for no reason and the keyboard commands are now important for normal use... come on this is a joke...right?

i will say it looks nice but a dread to use. the change is too dramatic it is like going from windows 3.11 to windows 7

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast