Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

Quote Originally Posted by msrinath80 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for an insightful post. For the skeptics, here is a post with actual objective content on why GNOME shell sucks.
    So I'm obligated to agree? I happen to like G3. Hey, I don't like KDE at all, but I don't go around saying it sucks. It's just not for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    So I'm obligated to agree? I happen to like G3. Hey, I don't like KDE at all, but I don't go around saying it sucks. It's just not for me.
    You're not obligated to do anything. All I'm saying is that here is a post with actual arguments on why the shell UI sucks. This is meant for all those folks who keep asking for constructive suggestions, period.

Beans
    Distro

KDE and Unity (I was testing both as I was worried about the future of Gnome 3) were just removed from both of my computers. I am running Gnome 3 with Gnome Tweak on both systems (Ubuntu and Fedora) and I am loving it. I was worried that I would have to part ways with Gnome, not anymore.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by msrinath80 View Post
    All I'm saying is that here is a post with actual arguments on why the shell UI sucks.
    A more mature way of putting it, would be: "arguments on why the shell UI might not be for you". People might take you more seriously then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rifester View Post
    I was worried that I would have to part ways with Gnome, not anymore.
    This was the same for me too. I'd seen the early shots of it, and it just made no sense to me, but now it's finished and I've played with it, I'm completely sold and I can't wait to get it in my next distro.

I haven't tried Unity yet, and I will do when Natty's finished, but so far it's a very convincing score one to Gnome 3 and Shell for me. I've really enjoyed the live disc, and well it was just fun to use. Now I want more!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro

here i am posting my observations after i compliled it on my 10.10 from git.
    1) can we change panel properties ? like making it transparent or changing panel background to match with the desktop wallpaper ?
    2) top right button that shows the username, when i click on that, and my accounts, it says i have to install some program for adding accounts (y the accounts that are configured in prev version not showing up here?
    3) i use awn in bottom center. whenever i fire up gnome-session the dock goes into hiding in bottom right corner and i have to quit and restart to bring it back in position. any tweak or solution for this ?
    4) global menu applet thats on my gnome-panel (default), can i make it show up on g3 panel ? if so then there should be repositioning adjustments for clock... is that possible ?
    5) top right button shows a system settings option. it looks similar to the mac os x style of system settings.... havent tried it yet but the feel is there.

apart from the first observation as listed above, the look, feel and performance has not hampered my working till now. as someone said earlier in this thread, its a learning curve and we hope for the better and upgrades in future... (updating our knowledge in the process)
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Perhaps you should re-read the title of this thread? People can say whatever they want.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678