Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Decline of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Decline of Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Philsoki View Post
    Just thought it would make for some interesting discussion.
    ...like saying that RedHat and Suse had declined or calling 2007/2008 Ubuntu's heyday? Have you been living on an island or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    ...like saying that RedHat and Suse had declined or calling 2007/2008 Ubuntu's heyday? Have you been living on an island or something?
    Uh... Redhat used to be what Ubuntu is now. As in, it was the most popular distro... That's what I was getting at. And Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 were my favourite releases so to me those were the "hey days"

Beans
    Distro

...and what is Ubuntu now? Numero uno on Distrowatch? Do you really think anyone cares, apart from a handful of fanboys?

PS: Here is RedHat in decline. Time to file for bankruptcy!

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Decline of Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    ...and what is Ubuntu now? Numero uno on Distrowatch? Do you really think anyone cares, apart from a handful of fanboys?

PS: Here is RedHat in decline. Time to file for bankruptcy!
    I haven't bothered to click the link because I think you're just trying to be witty, I'm going to guess it's something about RedHat about to "hit a billion". I was talking about the popularity of the distro, not profit margins. Far out, man.

Beans
    Distro

In my head Mint is still nothing more but a Ubuntu respin (I know, I know it is becoming more and more independent)- So I read that chart as in Ubuntu takes both the first two spots.

Disclaimer: I know about the Debian rolling version of Mint. I simplified for the arguments sake

Quote Originally Posted by godhika View Post
    In my head Ubuntu is still nothing more but a Debian respin (I know, I know it is becoming more and more independent)- So I read that chart as in Debian takes both the first two spots.
    Wait, what?

Hint: Corrected that for you to show your logic fails.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Philsoki View Post
    I haven't bothered to click the link because I think you're just trying to be witty, I'm going to guess it's something about RedHat about to "hit a billion". I was talking about the popularity of the distro, not profit margins. Far out, man.
    Well, solid cash flow is a real measure of popularity, whether you like it or not. Mouse clicks are only what people make of them, which usually is wrong, but you obviously prefer the clicks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Wait, what?

Hint: Corrected that for you to show your logic fails.
    You win - this time....

Beans

Ubuntus not suffering a decline. Its sat between 2200 and 2800 hits on Distrowatch since forever....

Beans

What's going to be interesting is what happens after this release. There is little doubt the numbers will jump for Ubuntu. The question is whether or not you start seeing big increases in the other distros shortly after.

This is the first Ubuntu release where I am expecting to see an increase interest in other distros due to major changes and related bugs. Ignoring the argument whether the change is good or bad, it's probably safe to say that some people will gravitate to other distros with familiar features. The question is how many.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast