Thread: Network Filter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Network Filter

Hello everybody. I am pretty sure this is the right place to be asking this so here we go. I have a second computer that isn't being used at all right now. We have a wireless network in my house and I was wondering if there was a way to create an authentication system for anybody trying to access the internet using this second computer as the authentication server. Essentially what I want is a prompt or a website to come up when somebody tried to open a browser. The prompt will ask them for a user name and password. If the info is correct (checked against a file on the authentication server) it timestamps a log file and allows internet access. The reason I don't want just a WEP key is that I want to be able to assign different rules to different user groups. (IE Users in Group 2 can use the internet for an hour at a time with an hour cool down before they can log in again; but users in Group 1 have unrestricted access.) Also if there's any way I could have the server monitor the traffic and block certain websites or take a screen shot every minute or so of the client computers and save them to the server's hard drive that would be wonderful. And yes all of the computers on the network are mine, the information gathered through the screen shots is only for my piece of mind so that I know where some of the younger members of my household are going to so I can keep them out of trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Network Filter

Any idea anybody? Even just a starting point would be helpful

Beans

Re: Network Filter

Check out Astaro. It is a little bit overkill, but it will do what you need. They have a free license for home users for up to 50 ip addresses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu