Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    I also have this same problem. I have tried changing the gconf-editor to a theme in my /.theme/ folder but still when I load up I get the 'old-fashioned' window decorations... I have tried multiple different themes to try and get this to work; unfortunately I am without success.

    When I try to install 'gnome-theme-extras' I just receive the error: E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-themes-extras_2.22.0-3_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/themes/Unity/index.theme', which is also in package unity-theme 0.2ubuntu1

    I am using Ubuntu 11.04, which is where that Unity conflict probably arises from, anyone got a fix?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    178

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Well according to this
    http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/gnome_3?dist=natty#

    It's on ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 but it says Natty (11.04), I'm on 10.10. Weird that I have to upgrade, specially since people have been able to get it working on 10.10.
    Last edited by morgue; April 13th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    10

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPKing View Post
    I also have this same problem. I have tried changing the gconf-editor to a theme in my /.theme/ folder but still when I load up I get the 'old-fashioned' window decorations... I have tried multiple different themes to try and get this to work; unfortunately I am without success.

    When I try to install 'gnome-theme-extras' I just receive the error: E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-themes-extras_2.22.0-3_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/themes/Unity/index.theme', which is also in package unity-theme 0.2ubuntu1

    I am using Ubuntu 11.04, which is where that Unity conflict probably arises from, anyone got a fix?
    I had a similar problem after installing Gnome3 on Ubuntu 11.04. When I tried to install the "gnome-themes-standard" package, it said there was an error trying to overwrite a theme in the "highcontrast" theme (can't remember the exact one). In synaptic, I selected the conflicting package for removal and "gnome-themes-standard" for installation and Walla! when I rebooted it was working! I don't think the "gnome-themes-extras" package will be critical... try just installed the "standard" package.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_wannabe View Post
    I had a similar problem after installing Gnome3 on Ubuntu 11.04. When I tried to install the "gnome-themes-standard" package, it said there was an error trying to overwrite a theme in the "highcontrast" theme (can't remember the exact one). In synaptic, I selected the conflicting package for removal and "gnome-themes-standard" for installation and Walla! when I rebooted it was working! I don't think the "gnome-themes-extras" package will be critical... try just installed the "standard" package.
    Thanks for that, it now works.

    To fix:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gnome-accessibility-themes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    178

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPKing View Post
    Thanks for that, it now works.

    To fix:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gnome-accessibility-themes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard
    I get
    Unable to locate package gnome-themes-standard

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPKing View Post
    Thanks for that, it now works.

    To fix:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gnome-accessibility-themes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard
    I get;

    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

    Whats wrong here?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    4,534
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by CsG_kieran_2 View Post
    I get;

    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

    Whats wrong here?
    You have most probably another package manager running at the same time, for example Synaptic.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPKing View Post
    Thanks for that, it now works.

    To fix:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gnome-accessibility-themes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard
    this worked for me

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Beans
    144

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadboy420 View Post
    I just installed Gnome 3 shell on Ubuntu 11.04 natty and everything seems to look fine except my windows decorations. May be something simple I'm missing. Please see screenshot:

    Hello Deadboy420,

    Thanks for the instructions. I've followed them and tried to change my theme, but the desktop keeps defaulting to Adwaita. I'm looking into the theme folders and they seem to have subfolders.

    The unzipped "Before_Dawn" Theme (the one I manually entered into gconf-editor, as you described) folder has a subfolder titled "metacity-1" which has all of the image files etc. for the theme.

    Should these files be copied up into the "root" folder to be seen by the system do you think? How is the folder for the theme you successfully installed structured, does it have subfolders like I described, or are the theme files in the "root" of the theme-named folder. If that makes sense...

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again, to all you guys, for the informative posts!

    cheers
    ************************************************** ****
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Beans
    19
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome 3 windows decorations/windows management?

    @promet

    Literally all I did was place the full, unzipped "Before_Dawn" folder inside my ".themes" folder as described previously in post #6. I made no other modifications to the folder or copies elsewhere.

    You won't already have a ".themes" folder in your /home/username/ by default, so make sure to create one and put the extracted "Before_Dawn" folder in there. That's the only place you need to put the new theme. The only other suggestion I can add is to make sure the theme name you type in gconf-editor is exactly how it's spelled/formated in the .themes folder (ie. "before dawn vs. "Before_Dawn") .

    Also, this is only to change the windows borders. Use the Gnome-Tweak-Tool if you want to change gtk theme.

    Are you on 11.04 or 10.10??
    Last edited by Deadboy420; April 19th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •