Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which desktop manager to chose?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Which desktop manager to chose?

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be switching my media server to Ubuntu from Win7. I have decided that I don't need all of what Ubuntu's server has to offer. So, I'm going with the desktop version and now I'm wondering which desktop manager to go with. I'm think I have a basic understanding:

GNOME - Main desktop manager
    KDE - Main alternative
    Xubuntu - fancier Xfce
    Xfce - Light weight desktop manager
    (and that's about where I stopped)

The media server will have a fair amount of stuff running on it but nothing insane. No virtual servers, just applications and services. (SSH, NXserver, XBMC, VPN, some newsgroup apps, etc.)

It really comes down to this: Will it really matter which one I chose? Do I really need to slim down the desktop manager (Xfce)?

Oh, almost forgot to post the specs of the server:
    Quad-core AMD64 (can't remember specific chip right now)
    4GB RAM
    1TB HD

Thanks,
    Mat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Which desktop manager to chose?

"Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

I'm starting to think that it really shouldn't make a difference. I think I might just start with GNOME (because I won't have to install anything additional) and it memory or something becomes an issue then I'll switch out to something like Xfce.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I'm guessing that either you're assuming that I was going with Ubuntu Server or that you think I should.

Either way I learned something, I didn't realize that Ubuntu Server did not have a GUI. Makes perfect sense though now that I think about it.

While just about everything that I want to do with it would be fine without the GUI, I have a user requirement...my wife. She's not a CLI type of user. Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Right, it's not like this is a "production server."

XFCE is going to make a lot of things harder on you - a lot of configuration options that Gnome and KDE provide GUIs for have to be done by editing text files and such. Plus, those are some really nice specs for something that's just going to be a home server, and it'd be a damn shame not to even run a GUI on it.

If you're not familiar with any of the environments, Gnome is default for a reason - KDE is comparable in speed and functionality but considered slightly less stable.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Gnome is default for a reason - KDE is comparable in speed and functionality but considered slightly less stable.
    considered less stable? care to elaborate?
    Last edited by ~Plue; April 9th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I mean that every time I see a debate on one against the other, of which there are perpetually well enough in Café, there's a general perception, most probably inaccurate, that KDE is less stable, in part I understand because of one much-hyped but initially unstable release that's since been much improved upon. I've had almost no experience with KDE and can't speak to whether or not this perception is accurate.

I suppose that saying "Gnome is the default for a reason" was exactly wrong, because the reality is exactly the opposite: assuming there is no reason, Gnome's default status is an advantage. There is more support for Gnome than KDE versions of Ubuntu, and that might be a consideration here.

I think I might just start with GNOME (because I won't have to install anything additional)
    Well, it wouldn't actually make any difference to your initial install process, because if you did intend to use KDE, you'd probably want to install from a Kubuntu disk to start with.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; April 9th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by djetch View Post
    I'm guessing that either you're assuming that I was going with Ubuntu Server or that you think I should.

Either way I learned something, I didn't realize that Ubuntu Server did not have a GUI. Makes perfect sense though now that I think about it.

While just about everything that I want to do with it would be fine without the GUI, I have a user requirement...my wife. She's not a CLI type of user. Hmmm...
    I misunderstood , yes , I did think you were installing the sever edition.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Right, it's not like this is a "production server."

XFCE is going to make a lot of things harder on you - a lot of configuration options that Gnome and KDE provide GUIs for have to be done by editing text files and such. Plus, those are some really nice specs for something that's just going to be a home server, and it'd be a damn shame not to even run a GUI on it.

If you're not familiar with any of the environments, Gnome is default for a reason - KDE is comparable in speed and functionality but considered slightly less stable.
    Thanks for the compliment on the box, built her myself. I'm not genius at it but I know what I like and how to meet my requirements.

You know while I LOVE the command line and using Vi. Yeah that's right I'm a Vi *****! I have it installed on any and all boxes I work on, regardless of OS. Having said all that it is nice to have a GUI to work in for config'ing.

Alright! Decision is made: Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 running GNOME.

Thanks all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

I'm using 11.04b w/classic.

It's the absolute best. (for me)

Backup distro...Xubuntu.

KegHead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast