Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realtek RTL8191SE - WiFi keeps dropping every few minutes...

Beans

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE - WiFi keeps dropping every few minutes...

How do I enable wireless backports? (command?)

While my wireless isn't/wasn't working, I had plugged my computer into wired - I did try to download 11.04 Beta, but all the download Mirrors gave me download speeds between 1 - and 12 B/s ... yes.. Bites / S ... Estimated Download dime 14 days, 7 hours and 47 minutes ... Brilliant ...

So far it drops whenever I try to read my favourite webcomics - they are all hosted on PhpBB Forums, keenspot, smackjeeves ... :/ I guess I'll avoid those for until I have a more stable connection - I am trying my online game tonight and see whether that stays up and stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The simplest way to enable backports is in Synaptic package manager. Put the term "backports" in the search box and you should see entries for modules & wireless among others. I've not had a problem but I've seen a couple reports where enabling backports damaged a functioning system. That's a risk of using software that has not been extensively tested. Having current backups of important things are good for peace of mind. Of course that's true anytime.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LittleZeasel View Post
    How do I enable wireless backports? (command?)

While my wireless isn't/wasn't working, I had plugged my computer into wired - I did try to download 11.04 Beta, but all the download Mirrors gave me download speeds between 1 - and 12 B/s ... yes.. Bites / S ... Estimated Download dime 14 days, 7 hours and 47 minutes ... Brilliant ...

So far it drops whenever I try to read my favourite webcomics - they are all hosted on PhpBB Forums, keenspot, smackjeeves ... :/ I guess I'll avoid those for until I have a more stable connection - I am trying my online game tonight and see whether that stays up and stable.
    Having problems accessing only certain sites is often a MTU size problem. You might want read the answer section on this site and see if it applies to your situation.

http://superuser.com/questions/21326...can-on-windows

Beans

Okay... it wasn't the MTU - that is already set to maximum of 1500.

We did take a different approach and used following command:

Code:
    tcpdump -s 0 -i wlan0 -w /home/littlezeasel/tcp.dump
    In order to get a report of what happened when over the wlan0 to try and find out what might cause the internet to stop running.
    Unfortunately, me being an absolute Linux Noob, I can't tell anything from that protocol and the one helping me can't see anything wrong with the log file, apart from recognising WHERE the packages stopped.

I would like to post the relevant part of the protocol, but unfortunately it isn't a text file (it's a file opennable in Wireshark).
    The entire thing is 22 MB large and thus not good to be posted - I basically just need the last few lines - anyone know how I can extract those from the file so I can share it, so maybe someone may be able to recognise what is wrong with my stuff?

Or maybe any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for all of your ideas - I am trying everything and am looking forward to a solution. Keep them coming, maybe one thing finally will stick

LZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12