Thread: Suddenly white screen - Lenovo IdeaPad Z370

Beans

Thumbs down Suddenly white screen - Lenovo IdeaPad Z370

Hi there!

Already for several weeks, I am having a huge and very annoying issue: Very frequently, but in irregular intervals of time, it happens again and again that my screen suddenly turns totaly white.

I am working on a IdeaPad Z370 by Lenovo and I am using Kubuntu 12.10 (x86_64), Kernel 3.5.0-27-generic. The only things I am doing on my laptop is surfing with Opera, writing my papers with LibreOffice and listening to music and watching movies with VLC.

I tried to search on the web about this issue, but didn't find anything suitable for me.

I am quiet sure that this issue isn't a system crash or just a freezing of the system or something else like this, because when I turned in a HDMIm I could see a proper screen on the second monitor and could go on working.

While searching the web, I found http://diyistheway.blogspot.de/2012/...-z370.html?m=1 and followed all the steps (except 3 & 5) described there.

This Z370 has two grafic cards, but when I used to work with Optimus turned on, my laptop became very, very hot.
    Then I found somewhere to turn of the NVIDIA grafic card in the BIOS and enable just the VGA.
    This was what I did.

Some month ago, when this issue appeared the first time, I read somewhere that I should Bumblebee and configure it. - But I don't know anymore, where I found it and which steps exactly I realized concerning this.

In the syslog I couldn't find any entries about the sudden white screen.

Before I am going to give away my laptop to repair it or buy a new one, I wanted to ask you if this issue is known. What is the reason of this problem? What can I do against it?!

I am really about to be totally desperate, because working properly is impossible that way.

Thank you in advance for your help & support!

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Suddenly white screen - Lenovo IdeaPad Z370

My first guess would be bad power-inverter or screen. Stick around for other ideas. In the meantime find a livecd and make sure it is happening on other kernels before assuming it is hardware.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    My first guess would be bad power-inverter or screen. Stick around for other ideas. In the meantime find a livecd and make sure it is happening on other kernels before assuming it is hardware.
    |{urse, thank you for your answer!
    What do you mean exactly by: "bad power-inverter or screen" ?!

Thansk in advance!

Beans

Nobody else an ideas why this could happen?!

Beans

The white screen appears also after updating to 13.04

Any further ideas?!