Thread: Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 11.04

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. With Ubuntu 11.04 switching to Unity, does this mean the end of AWN or will you still be able to use AWN with Classic? If this is the case, what will happen with 11.10 as classic is being dropped?

If you want to still use AWN, will Xubuntu 11.04 support it?

Cheers

EmyrB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 11.04

All AWN requires from a DE and window manager is compositing, but some of its applets are Gnome-centric. Nothing will change in using AWN in the Classic desktop in 11.04. Even when the Classic Desktop is discontinued seven months from now, it will still be possible to disable the Unity plugin and use AWN, and it can be used under other DEs as well.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Unity provides its own dock. For now, it has fewer features than AWN, but this will hopefully change in the future.

Right now, AWN will work with Unity, as Unity is just Gnome 2.32 in disguise. I am not sure about the future.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys for the answers. I'm still sitting on the fence with Unity. I can see potential but it's no Docky or AWN thats for sure The more I use it, the more I feel comfortable with it, but it's nice to have a backup plan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's possible that in future revisions, the Unity dock might have most of the functionality of AWN or DockBarX. It obviously doesn't in the present version, and I don't trust that it's ever going to support a lot of customization.

Right now, AWN will work with Unity, as Unity is just Gnome 2.32 in disguise. I am not sure about the future.
    It'll still work under Gnome + Compiz, though. Ubuntu would have to stop using Gnome entirely for that not to be the case.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

I've looked at Gnome 3.0 as well as Unity.

They are ok, but I still prefer 11.04 w/classic.

It's just easier for me.

KegHead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was showing off the Unity interface yesterday to a long time KDE user. He managed to adapt to it easily. A new user came in and she adapted to it easily. So I think I will switch to Unity also. It is not me I am worried about, but helping new user share pictures and video with me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

I've looked at Gnome 3.0 as well as Unity.

They are ok, but I still prefer 11.04 w/classic.

It's just easier for me.

KegHead
    I'm with you on that. I find unity completely unusable not to mention dreadful to look at.

Beans
    Distro

Ah the price of progress, ah well. Any ideas how to revert back to the normal classic top panel or is that gone forever?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Click "Log Out" then select the right option on your bottom panel before you log back in again.
    I hope my point that "Unity seems friendlier than Gnome for new and old KDE users came across"