Thread: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 driver

Beans

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 driver

From what I can tell from looking through various websites old ATI cards are no longer supported on Ubuntu by anyone. Does anyone know of any way I could get a decent driver for my graphics card? I can use Ubuntu, but I can't do anything that has 3D stuff in it.
    If it really is not possible to get a driver is there any other linux distro that could be used? One that would allow me to do gaming on linux through wine? I'd hate to have to go back to windows after seeing how great linux is.
    I'm very new to linux and know rather little of computers so forgive me if I've not mentioned something I really need to, or if there is some obvious solution to the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 driver

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead ii View Post
    From what I can tell from looking through various websites old ATI cards are no longer supported on Ubuntu by anyone.
    ATI cards, even the old legacy ones like yours, are still supported on Ubuntu it's just that they require the open-source driver to work.
    Does anyone know of any way I could get a decent driver for my graphics card? I can use Ubuntu, but I can't do anything that has 3D stuff in it.
    The only driver that will work is the open-source driver that is installed by default -- and that has minimal acceleration.
    If it really is not possible to get a driver is there any other linux distro that could be used?
    There are HUNDREDS of Linux distros, so there's really no way that anyone can say that no such distro exists -- but I'm not personally aware of any that will run modern kernels with two year old X-servers.
    One that would allow me to do gaming on linux through wine? I'd hate to have to go back to windows after seeing how great linux is.
    Wine brings nothing to the table in terms of video drivers, so if it's Windows gaming you want to do, basically, you're out of luck with that video card and Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 driver

Thanks for the confirmation that gaming isn't possible - I couldn't bear not knowing if it was possible or not with ubuntu. I guess I'll just keep using windows for gaming and ubuntu for all else.
    Last edited by bonehead ii; April 6th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.